See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your worst playing error, or least fine moment at the table?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHypnoToad View Post
    I hit a multiple card 17, thinking it was 16...then did it again last year! It's haunted me ever since!!
    Players are responsible for their decisions but a decent dealer would have double checked. Another reason for not correcting overpays etc.

What about a situation where you ask what your total is, and dealer says 16...although you really have 17 (or any other numbers, for that matter). You hit and get a 6, totalling 22. Or is this a state-by-state thing?
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

I was once playing a promotion that went through the night. This game had my sleep schedule pretty messed up. A little while into my session I actually fell asleep at the table. Fortunately I woke up as the player on my right was acting, but suffice to say I finished the hand and headed to my car for a nap.

My most embarrassing would be my first foray as a truly amateur 'card counter'. I hesitate to say I was a card counter at all because really all I knew was to add 1 for high cards and subtract 1 for low cards and increase my bet when the count was positive. I had no idea what a true count was or even a bet spread.

Anyway I was playing and up a few units and drinking a little bit. I keep playing and I notice the guy next to starts to up his bet whenever I do and go down whenever I do. We keep playing and after a bit I color up and leave with him doing the same. As we walk away he tosses me a nickel and says thanks and I ask what for? It turns out I had enough to drink that I was actually saying the count out loud without realizing it and he was betting on my awful counting skills.

This thread is awesome. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything to add but poker, where it happened AGAIN six months ago, after a long layoff. I hit my straight on the turn and fire it up. The guy with the obvious set refuses to believe it, marries his hand, and three of us cap the turn and at least two on the river. I smugly flip over my... middle pair with crappy kicker. I was half-counterfeited, not straightened, and there's no straight possible on the board. Aiyah!, and mutter to myself something about good advertising.

This doesn't "technically" qualify as a playing error but is kinda relevant.
    Trying to get outta town with the 5th wheel to go where-else, to play Blackjack. The spring actuated king-pin lock has been busted for a while. No prob, just have to make sure to MANUALLY lock it.
    So I'm going through the hook-up sequence and the phone keeps ringing with business related problems.
    Jump in the truck to head out and BAM, the fifth-wheel is now sitting on the bed of the truck. Warps the bed and screws up the tailgate royally. Tell the wife "let's go home". She says, "it's already wasted, take the tailgate off and let's go". So we did !
    Unfortunately, I didn't win enough to overcome the negative EV of the shoe games AND the body shop.
    “One man’s remorse is another man’s reminiscence.” Ogden Nash

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by genini1 View Post
    My most embarrassing would be my first foray as a truly amateur 'card counter'. I hesitate to say I was a card counter at all because really all I knew was to add 1 for high cards and subtract 1 for low cards and increase my bet when the count was positive. I had no idea what a true count was or even a bet spread.

Anyway I was playing and up a few units and drinking a little bit. I keep playing and I notice the guy next to starts to up his bet whenever I do and go down whenever I do. We keep playing and after a bit I color up and leave with him doing the same. As we walk away he tosses me a nickel and says thanks and I ask what for? It turns out I had enough to drink that I was actually saying the count out loud without realizing it and he was betting on my awful counting skills.
    I hope by now you've at least figured out that you were betting more as the house edge grew and less when the edge was in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyne View Post
    I hope by now you've at least figured out that you were betting more as the house edge grew and less when the edge was in your favor.
    I have learned at least that much. Still learning more and more every day, but I no longer play worse than a ploppy with BS.

I hit a hard 17 just recently. I tried to stop the dealer, but wasn't fast enough. Of course I busted. Strangely enough I was losing and after that hand I won about 10 straight. I wondered what would have happened if I hadn't took that card by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    I hit a hard 17 just recently. I tried to stop the dealer, but wasn't fast enough. Of course I busted. Strangely enough I was losing and after that hand I won about 10 straight. I wondered what would have happened if I hadn't took that card by mistake.
    The subsequent outcomes would have been equally likely to occur whether you took that card or not. Otherwise you would be subscribing the same non-logic ploppies use when talking about the "flow of the cards" and "taking the dealers bust card" when you hit a soft 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    I had a fat slug of high cards but couldn't get control of the cut card. The guy cut the out of play. I had a sudden urge to hit the bathroom. When I got back the other players told me I picked a good time to take a break because the dealer was on a tear.
    How was this a bad thing? It would have been costly to stay.
    Also it is unrealistic if you are playing with others, to expect cut card control 100% of the time.

It is a fun surprise when you come back and see the players doing really well, everybody making their hits etc.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Just remember, in a fresh deck hitting 17 is "right" as often as taking insurance is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    That's why the sudden urge to go to the bathroom.
    That's my point, we are airing our mistakes, that was not a mistake.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast