See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: U.S Blackjack Trip

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    IMO, this is bad advice. You're incriminating yourself. They already know the answer, so why say anything?
    Yep, many people agree. My success is purely anecdotal, and may be bad advice generally. Then again, if they already know the answer, why does it matter? (Not a rhetorical question, wondering if legally it does).

To be clear, the alternative options "I don't know" leads to "so you weren't paying attention?" (worse) and "I'm not saying" is "not cooperating" (also not boding well for the rest of the stop).

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonDetroit View Post
    if they already know the answer, why does it matter?
    Their job is to make conversation to fish and see if you say something incriminating. I'm not a lawyer, but I've been told by one it's best not to engage in conversation.

I was once stopped for some bogus reason (I don't recall what) and that led to, "are you carrying much cash?" My answer was, "I prefer not to answer any question unrelated to why you stopped me." He they said I could go. Another anecdote :-)

Ive dealt with the traveling in a car with money situation before. I made sure I knew everything in case I got railroaded by a rogue cop and got illegally searched without my consent.

Step 1 is obviously know your rights and that they cant search you without probable cause or you waiving your rights due to ignorance and letting them search you when asked. But of course this is the real world and you might run into a corrupt money hungry cop so keep listening to the next steps.

Step 2 is make sure you have a recording device in your car at all times with any police encounter and make sure to let the cops know you are recording them because some states have laws where you cannot record them unless first advising them that youre doing so. You want to make sure you record any police encounter in case they lie in court or try to 'plant' something in your car.

Step 3 is put the money in your shoes under the sole. So in case they try to railroad you and search your person and your car they wont be able to find the money because theyre only allowed to frisk your body and they NEVER ask to take your shoes off on the road unless you get taken to the police station, which NEVER happens unless they really try to screw you and manage to plant something in your car or say youre intoxicated etc.

Lasyly, make sure you understand the recent Supreme Court Decision of US. Vs Rodriguez. Cops cannot stall and make you wait as they call in other police to bring in the dogs. So if they try to get fake probable cause to search your car by getting a dog to make a 'false hit', know that they cant make you wait at the time of the stop for them to call the dogs. The dogs have to ALREADY be with them at the time of the stop or else theyd be violating the court decision and your rights. 99% of the time the cops dont have any dogs with them so all these possible 'false hits' cant happen if you firmly tell them about the Supreme court Decision of US vs Rodriguez and that they cant make you wait for them to call in the dogs.

All of this should minimize the chance of getting your money stolen to as close to 0 as possible. Good luck. Stay firm with your rights but at the same time dont act like a smart ass because cops are prideful people so just be polite but at the same time firm and confident with what youre saying and always keep your hands in plain view and the lights on in your car if its during the night. This makes the encounter stress free for both parties.

Good luck.

Have you ever used any of this advice when actually stopped by the police?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Oh, oh! Now we are heading into a show off post where Kingzen shares his police escapades.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Oh, oh! Now we are heading into a show off post where Kingzen shares his police escapades.
    I am just curious if he is speaking from theory only or has some experience with traffic stops where he had to use his advice. Anyone with experience using things that helped in actual traffic stops. It isn't bragging and would be more useful than a list of theoretical advice. For example, I figure if you pulled the can't wait for a dog thing you would get pulled over by a K-9 unit a little ways up the road. Then what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by KingZen View Post
    Ive dealt with the traveling in a car with money situation before. I made sure I knew everything in case I got railroaded by a rogue cop and got illegally searched without my consent.

Step 1 is obviously know your rights and that they cant search you without probable cause or you waiving your rights due to ignorance and letting them search you when asked. But of course this is the real world and you might run into a corrupt money hungry cop so keep listening to the next steps.

Step 2 is make sure you have a recording device in your car at all times with any police encounter and make sure to let the cops know you are recording them because some states have laws where you cannot record them unless first advising them that youre doing so. You want to make sure you record any police encounter in case they lie in court or try to 'plant' something in your car.

Step 3 is put the money in your shoes under the sole. So in case they try to railroad you and search your person and your car they wont be able to find the money because theyre only allowed to frisk your body and they NEVER ask to take your shoes off on the road unless you get taken to the police station, which NEVER happens unless they really try to screw you and manage to plant something in your car or say youre intoxicated etc.

Lasyly, make sure you understand the recent Supreme Court Decision of US. Vs Rodriguez. Cops cannot stall and make you wait as they call in other police to bring in the dogs. So if they try to get fake probable cause to search your car by getting a dog to make a 'false hit', know that they cant make you wait at the time of the stop for them to call the dogs. The dogs have to ALREADY be with them at the time of the stop or else theyd be violating the court decision and your rights. 99% of the time the cops dont have any dogs with them so all these possible 'false hits' cant happen if you firmly tell them about the Supreme court Decision of US vs Rodriguez and that they cant make you wait for them to call in the dogs.

All of this should minimize the chance of getting your money stolen to as close to 0 as possible. Good luck. Stay firm with your rights but at the same time dont act like a smart ass because cops are prideful people so just be polite but at the same time firm and confident with what youre saying and always keep your hands in plain view and the lights on in your car if its during the night. This makes the encounter stress free for both parties.

Good luck.

Great post KingZen
    Helps allot

You should not try to apply for a visa extension in US unless you are absolutely sure it would be granted. In the past, most of them would be denied, and you leave, that is the end of it. But now, it is more complicated, you may get yourself in a deportation proceeding.

https://qz.com/1323136/a-uscis-immig...se-status/amp/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wow, and there was me thinking the US was the land of the free. Many of you make it sound more like a police state

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ellenc View Post
    You should not try to apply for a visa extension in US unless you are absolutely sure it would be granted. In the past, most of them would be denied, and you leave, that is the end of it. But now, it is more complicated, you may get yourself in a deportation proceeding.

https://qz.com/1323136/a-uscis-immig...se-status/amp/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    It's not quite so bad. The cost for an application is now over $300 and odds are good (varies with your ethnicity a bit). If denied, you have to leave but no deportation/lock ups unless you remain in the US for 30+ more days. Basically, after they deny your visa, they check records 30 days later to see if you have left. If not, you are listed and in time, sometimes 6-8 weeks later, they actively look for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123