See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Anonymizer

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Perhaps I missed it, but how does one post anonymously?

Blog Entries

Spammers have been making heavy use of this feature. It occurs to me that a spammer is very likely to check a box marked Make post anonymously not even being aware of the feature. So, I have changed the option box text to "Temporary". Much less likely that a spammer would check such a box.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Unrelated to Post Anonymizer, but another feature that might alleviate moderating and unnecessary clutter would be the ability of members to delete their own threads.

Sometimes people post questions answered in other threads, then they realize it and their thread dies. Or other cases might be the posting of sensitive information etc
    ~Tom (aka "PT")

For sale: BlackjackLab

Blog Entries

You can delete your own posts. But, deleting a thread would result in deleting other member's posts. We can't allow that.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    You can delete your own posts. But, deleting a thread would result in deleting other member's posts. We can't allow that.
    You could make it so when a member "deletes" their own thread, that it's actually not deleted, but moved to a "moderator only" trash-can type sub-forum. (A forum I'm an admin of does this.) That way, there is never an actual loss of data, it just gets moved to a place where only moderators could view it.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Blog Entries

Cleaner to just have the member request deletion.

I'm with RWM that being able to post anon can be good. I do it on the other site when I get into specific locations. I'm super cautious about the details I give away in my posts. Sometimes I have a question, or a stupid burning desire to respond to something where I feel I might be giving away too much info about myself.

Blog Entries

Due to enormous abuse by spammers , this feature will not show up in posting options unless a member has been here for five days and has made five posts. We had 62 SPAM posts this morning using the feature.
    Last edited by Norm; 04-23-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12