See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Anonymizer

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Post Anonymizer

The membership has voted to disallow posting under multiple member names. Not a surprise given the resulting abuses seen elsewhere. So, we will not allow the use of multiple names by the same person. However, some members have expressed the need for an occasional anonymous post. Therefore, a new mechanism has been added – Post Anonymizer.

If a need arises to make an anonymous post or to start an anonymous thread, simply check the "Anonymous Post" option in the Miscellaneous Options box. If you are replying to a thread, you will need to hit the Go Advanced button to see these options. The post will be made, but your name will be hidden. For a sample of such a post, go to Sample.

The feature can also be used for comments on the AP News page and Blogs by hitting Go Advanced. You must have been a member for five days and have made five posts before using the feature.

Note: Although the membership cannot determine the member making the post, all such posts are logged and the admin can determine who made the post. This feature should only be used in the rare cases where posting information can be used to identify you. Under no circumstances should it be used for personal attacks or trolling. Such abuse would be considered reason for a ban.
    Last edited by Norm; 04-23-2013 at 07:52 AM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Banned or Suspended

I have to say, that I think this is the stupidest thing on 'our' wonderful site, Norm. I don't understand the concept at all. 99% of the membership is already anonymous as it should be on a message board. The exception being yourself, for professional reasons, a few of the members that have tied their handle to a name that they may have written a book under and a few of us that did idiotic things like tie part of our name to our handle. So why the need for more anonymity. If someone has something to say, they should say it and do so proudly, with whatever credibility they have or haven't established in the community. I just don't get why someone needs to hide their already anonymous handle? (other than to say something that they think will be viewed as unpopular and/or distasteful)
    Last edited by KJ; 03-29-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Here is the reason KJ, (at least for me). There is a lot of competition for the types of games that I play. Say there is a thread about Harrahs Kansas City that I think I have something meaningful to add. Well currently I would not post because I don't want my competition to know I was recently at Harrahs in Kansas City.

Banned or Suspended

User is banned, content deleted.

Blog Entries

Either it is useful, or it is not. We will see after the novelty, play period wears off.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Thanks for finding a way to accommodate both sides! Hopefully this will facilitate the exchange of useful information while protecting everyone's anonymity, and by tying the posts to our user names behind the scenes, hopefully that will prevent abuse of this privelege.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Member Name Hidden View Post
    troll!
    I am writing this under my own name - KJ if you are referring to me with that book reference, I can tell you that I was writing under the handle 'Brh' for nearly five years before I released the first version of my systems.

[Rest of post withdrawn on account of me misunderstanding the content of your post, apologies,
    Brh.
    Last edited by brh; 03-31-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by brh View Post
    I am writing this under my own name - KJ if you are referring to me with that book reference, I can tell you that I was writing under the handle 'Brh' for nearly five years before I released the first version of my systems.
    I was not referring to you BRH. I was not specifically referring to anyone. I am thrilled that you and several other BJ material, authors choose to participate in the community and I think it is fitting that such authors use a name associated with their work. I also was not referring specifically about this site. This is obviously a new feature on THIS site and we will see how it goes, as Norm says. But this same feature has been one of my greatest dislikes about Wong's site, that many of us also belong to. RWM points out that there are instances that the feature could be beneficial, and I can appreciate that, but at least on Wong's site for every one of those incidents, there seems to be 10 others that members just abuse such a feature and use this second layer of anonymity to hide behind attacks, accusations and even just posts that they deem would otherwise not be received well. But again, that's Wong's site. Maybe the membership here is more mature.

Blog Entries

OK zg, we've had are fun. If someone wishes to make a post to test the feature, that's fine. But, let's stop playing with it.

BTW, you cannot delete or edit a post made in this manner since the post does not belong to the poster.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    is outing anonymous allowed?we are legion. You are warned.
    rofl
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I didn't even bother to look in the logs before saying it was you.

Banned or Suspended

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast