See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: K-O Blackjack vs HiLo

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Galvin View Post
    Bigdaddy,

Isn't it obvious that excess 7s remaining would lead a player to hit his/her 13 and 14 valued hands? Likewise, a deficit of 7s remaining would cause a player not to hit those same hands.

But just as obviously (I trust you can comprehend), those decisions depend upon the deviation point for each situation against the dealer's various possible hands. Thus, index numbers.
    Yes - I also use HO2 w/ ASC but not currently side counting the 7s. I'm just looking for the specifics re: the index adjustments for the 7 side-count....

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post
    Yes, playing decisions only.

I recently posted my surprise in finding that some posters here are

unaware of what a Side-Count is and how it is used.
    I understand what side count is and how it works. You are talking about an Ace Adjustment Factor the way you are describing side counting Aces and Sevens. You are adjusting your bet for Ace richness and poorness. As the cards come into play, the normal composition of Aces changes. When the deck contains a higher density of Aces than one per thirteen, the deck is said to be Ace rich, which is favorable to the player. On the other hand a lower density of Aces is called Ace poor, which is not good for the player. In some count systems they add 3 to the running count for every Ace that is rich and subtract 3 for every Ace that is poor. Like the Uston APC for example. Then the add or subtract aces to get an adjusted running count. From the adjusted running count it is converted to True Count for betting. By definition it is called Ace Adjustment Factor. In the same way you are you also adjusting for seven richness and poorness.

In other words, side counting could mean -2 for every aces seen. Then the side count of -2 is added to the running count for betting purposes. Of course there are many other ways to side count in Blackjack. Another way to side count is you can balanced the ace vs low cards and then adjust the running count by adding the two counts together then convert to true count for betting if a true count is required for betting. The methods I described are all legitimate methods of side counting. It doesn't have to be using an Ace Adjustment Factor like you described to consider legitimate.

If you are using a side count for a count system. Make sure you are not side counting for no reason and you are using the side count data and indices!! For example, I remember seeing some index deviations in the Tarzan Count for the deviations doubling on 9 vs 2. It looks like there are more than 30 index deviations just for one play. I doubt you will use all of those index for that one play. What good is the count data if you are not going to using all the data than you are side counting for nothing.
    Last edited by seriousplayer; 12-25-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Banned or Suspended

It's still a game. Don't make it so damn difficult for yourself that you can't stand to play. There are happy mediums. The work is at home. The fun is putting it to rewards. Dont worry if you are not making as much as the next guy.
    Last edited by moses; 12-25-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Ace side count playing adjustments are also important.
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousplayer View Post
    If you are using a side count for a count system. Make sure you are not side counting for no reason and you are using the side count data and indices!! For example, I remember seeing some index deviations in the Tarzan Count for the deviations doubling on 9 vs 2. It looks like there are more than 30 index deviations just for one play. I doubt you will use all of those index for that one play. What good is the count data if you are not going to using all the data than you are side counting for nothing.
    Why wouldn't you use all the index play. I use over 400 indices for SP21. It doubles EV with almost no change in SD. In other words SCORE is more than tripled for my count compared to the standard way of using indices in SP21 (yeah, that's not worth it. LoL). It isn't that hard to learn indices. If you have trouble with it maybe BJ isn't the game for you. You either lack the mental capacity, or the desire and drive to play with such a small and still decreasing edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Why wouldn't you use all the index play. I use over 400 indices for SP21. It doubles EV with almost no change in SD. In other words SCORE is more than tripled for my count compared to the standard way of using indices in SP21 (yeah, that's not worth it. LoL). It isn't that hard to learn indices. If you have trouble with it maybe BJ isn't the game for you. You either lack the mental capacity, or the desire and drive to play with such a small and still decreasing edge.
    Well, SP21 maybe be different but in Blackjack when I play single deck and double deck I use over 100+ indices NEVER that I use over 400.

Banned or Suspended

" ... In the same way you are you also adjusting for seven richness and poorness.

In other words, side counting could mean -2
    for every aces seen. Then the side count of -2 is added to the running count for betting purposes.
    I remember seeing some index deviations in the Tarzan Count for the deviations doubling on 9 vs 2. It looks like there are more than 30 index deviations just for one play. I doubt you will use all of those index for that one play. What good is the count data if you are not going to using all the data than you are side counting for nothing."
    No, you are still not properly understanding that I do NOT "count" Aces.

OFFER: You may come to my country home and I will put you up and
    teach you this and a whole lot more.

SideCounting a rank is not counting them as they are played.
    It is monitoring their density with one every ¼ deck being the
    norm.

That is hugely different.

You also misread Tarzan's share of 9 vs. 2
    There are not "30 index deviations" and I'll
    leave it to Tarzan to correct what you stated.

Meanwhile, I will say that
    for that interesting
    hand - or other hand for that matter.
    There are no individual
    'deviations' -- there are
    points ('counts' if you must) that are group ratios
    that when they are exceeded
    would direct your
    action away from Basic Strategy; that is because the
    likelihood of helpful to useless to harmful cards varies.

No, you are still not properly understanding that I do NOT "count" Aces.

OFFER: You may come to my country home and I will put you up and
    teach you this and a whole lot more.

SideCounting a rank is not counting them as they are played.
    It is monitoring their density with one every ¼ deck being the
    norm.

That is hugely different.

You also misread Tarzan's share of 9 vs. 2
    There are not "30 index deviations" and I'll
    leave it to Tarzan to correct what you stated.

Meanwhile, I will say that
    for that interesting
    hand - or other hand for that matter.
    There are no individual
    'deviations' -- there are
    points ('counts' if you must) that are group ratios
    that when they are exceeded
    would direct your
    action away from Basic Strategy; that is because the
    likelihood of helpful to useless to harmful cards varies.

Flash, I know you don't count Aces. I am just giving example on other ways you can side count that also correct. Side counting a rank as they are played are also, right. Please don't say it is wrong.

Banned or Suspended

Side counting a rank as they are played are also, right. Please don't say it is wrong.
    In BJ most people say "counting" when they observe a series of cards played and using an attached TAG for each rank to have a number that is ZERO, plus or minus X.

Side-Counting correctly is done differently. It is indeed a number that is derived by observation. However this is required: The rank
    is counted relative to a normal deck of cards, simply 4 per deck.
    Thus there is a norm of zero. If I have seen 7 Aces after seeing 50% of a DD game I know that I would have seen 4 Aces in a 'normal' deck, so I have a DEFICIT of 3 Aces, and my True Count will
    be redone (for betting purposes) by adjusting the RC downward
    by deducting 6 points. For playing the hand to come, Aces may be
    moot, but if not, (including an Insurance decision), a different
    adjustment to the RC is made.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Ace side count playing adjustments are also important. Why wouldn't you use all the index play. I use over 400 indices for SP21. It doubles EV with almost no change in SD. In other words SCORE is more than tripled for my count compared to the standard way of using indices in SP21 (yeah, that's not worth it. LoL). It isn't that hard to learn indices. If you have trouble with it maybe BJ isn't the game for you. You either lack the mental capacity, or the desire and drive to play with such a small and still decreasing edge.
    I don't know SP21 from Norm's Uncle Ed. But to say you can't win at blackjack without knowing 400 indices is simply wrong. At least for single deck and double deck.

Banned or Suspended

Well, SP21 maybe be different but in Blackjack when I play single deck and double deck I use over 100+ indices NEVER that I use over 400.
    I didn't even know there were 100 indices for single deck.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    I didn't even know there were 100 indices for single deck.
    All together there are about 150 Basic Strategy decisions. If you do indices deviation for almost every one of those 150 Basic Strategy decision it would be about 100 indices.
    Last edited by seriousplayer; 12-25-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Banned or Suspended

Oh Brother.

In BJ most people say "counting" when they observe a series of cards played and using an attached TAG for each rank to have a number that is ZERO, plus or minus X.

Side-Counting correctly is done differently. It is indeed a number that is derived by observation. However this is required: The rank
    is counted relative to a normal deck of cards, simply 4 per deck.
    Thus there is a norm of zero. If I have seen 7 Aces after seeing 50% of a DD game I know that I would have seen 4 Aces in a 'normal' deck, so I have a DEFICIT of 3 Aces, and my True Count will
    be redone (for betting purposes) by adjusting the RC downward
    by deducting 6 points. For playing the hand to come, Aces may be
    moot, but if not, (including an Insurance decision), a different
    adjustment to the RC is made.

That is what I mean it is called "Ace Adjustment Factor" for betting you can use it for playing as well. In my previous post. A side count of aces is therefore required to determine this factor which is multiplied by the number of aces rich or aces poor, in order to adjust the running count for betting purposes.

Source: Million Dollar Blackjack page 141 .

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast