See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memorizing indexes

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Memorizing indexes

As a new counter and I know there's a lot of professionals on here. I would love to hear some of your ways when you first started up to memorize the indexes. I wish some of you good counters would give us guys an idea of how you done it and how it stuck with you at the table thanks guys I love this forum

Sent from my B1-820 using Tapatalk

Just read, and read.
    If by any chance, your start up count us hi LO, there are terrific tables in Wongs Professional Blackjack that you can continually refer to as your watching tv, or whatever.

I made flash cards.
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

I hand-wrote the entire table in color in ink, using B.S. for plays without index numbers.

I still have my original version.

Dog Hand

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I use the following application for electronic flash cards.

http://mnemosyne-proj.org/

For me, using the app is more convenient than physical cards. I put surrender, double, and hit/stand indices on the answer for each match up. I have separate file for Spanish.

You rate your answer after each card. The program then cycles through the cards that require work more often.

I use a mobile app on my iPhone and iPad www.quizlet.com it creates multiple answer tests and more

I have printed and posted it on the wall in front of my working table (I work from home). I see it all the time and memorized 68 indices for the specific game I play. Soft indices took longer for me to memorize.
    No pain, no gain.

I created a word document and just memorize the lines. I like saying M1 instead of negative 1. Also I use Z instead of zero. Here is an example. Also, before I play, I re-read all deviations. Put in some time and you'll have your deviations memorized quickly.

Hitting/Standing
    16 versus Ace – Stand if the true count is 4 or higher
    16 versus 9 – Stand if the true count is 5 or higher
    16 versus 8 – Stand if the true count is 7 or higher
    16 versus 7 – Stand if the true count is 9 or higher

I looked at colorful tables (similar to those that Norm provides in CVBJ when you click on "display tables"), and look for patterns.There are always patterns within the table or numbers that remind me of birth dates, locker combinations, or something. I started with those hooks and memorized them in columns and/or rows. I constantly went over the rows and columns - especially every night before going to sleep. The numbers eventually stuck without my needing the patterns. When first practicing and learning, I went very slowly and tried to reinforce the different relationships e.g. when memorizing the indices for hard hit/stand - I would not only ask myself all of the numbers for when I hold 16, but I would stop while reciting the row to ask myself what the index is for 15 vs. 10 or 15 vs. 9. Pretty soon it all sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Just read, and read.
    If by any chance, your start up count us hi LO, there are terrific tables in Wongs Professional Blackjack that you can continually refer to as your watching tv, or whatever.
    Thanks

Thanks everyone I'm going to have plenty of time to do some of these things I'm having my back refused tomorrow. I appreciate all the great information

At first I had a fair amount of the I18 plays haphazardly remembered. Then when I generated my own indices I created a basic strategy chart with an extra color for index plays in which the index number was written.

For those interested

In Post #5, Zack Black suggested using Mnemosync to help memorize indexes. I tried using CVBJ Drills, but it was not helping me with memorizing. I was looking for something that asked the question, what do you do with a 12 vs 3?

I downloaded Mnemosync & it is exactly what I was looking for. I created a spreadsheet (which I could not upload to this Post) listing every situation; it came out to be 280 combinations. It lists all of the indexes with the rules being HI LO, 6D, H17, DAS.

You can download Mnemosync and import the attached txt file; or you can edit the txt file to reduce the combinations or change the index values. Then you can import it.

In the above example, what do you do with a 12 vs 3. The program presents a flash card with this question. Mentally you answer the question in your head. Then you click on "Show Answer" It will display the answer: S >= 2 otherwise H. Then you rate your mental answer from 0 to 5. There is an algorithm in the program that will randomly repeat your low rated answers. Have fun memorizing!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast