See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning my first scout outing

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Exoter175 View Post
    That's a really good point about the PB's. They are there first and foremost to manage the employees and games in that pit, not there solely to catch cheaters
    The fact that you called counters "cheaters" makes me question your intentions on this forum.

-T

I wish regularly winning $100 every night was a funny joke for me too ...
    “It seemed to me ... that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.

Quote Originally Posted by teddiebuckshot View Post
    The fact that you called counters "cheaters" makes me question your intentions on this forum.

-T
    I called counters, cheaters? Where?

Have you never in your life seen guys trading cards in games like LIR or Ultimate? Have you never seen a guy try to switch out loaded dice? Or try to use counterfeit money? Or try to swipe and replace a stack of chips after a loss/win on any table?

You should really avoid making assumptions of the word "cheater", especially when I make a concerted effort to say "counter" whenever applicable, as there are no laws broken while counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikky_Flash View Post
    I wish regularly winning $100 every night was a funny joke for me too ...
    I must be missing something here.....

and they know I'm liable to come in every single day, take them for $100, and walk out. To the point where its now a running joke with one of the floor personnel specifically, where he'll ask me when I get up if I got my daily quota or not,
    this
    “It seemed to me ... that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.

this
    What about it though? I'm having issues gauging the intent of your post is all. I'm not sure if it was meant as a high five or a middle finger, ya know?

What about it though? I'm having issues gauging the intent of your post is all. I'm not sure if it was meant as a high five or a middle finger, ya know?
    it's jealousy ... lol

it's jealousy ... lol
    Oh, haha. Well thanks. Its years worth of being a "regular", and having a stop-loss/stop-win when I was just merely using basic strategy.

These guys didn't even bat an eye when I took them for a modest 4 figures last month

I've been going hard on ratholing chips as to not expose myself for any major wins, or to accentuate losses.

Today, one of my less "local" places I"m almost positive found out I was a card counter. After being up and down all morning long, thought I was going to crush a massive count, lost ever single hand, showed them multiple max bets, and went over to DD with my tail between my legs.

Then all of a sudden the dealer tells me that I can't add another hand mid shoe (NMSE, on a table I've added/subtracted hands on many times before), and he gave me about 35-40% to play with. Hoping to preserve what little "cover" I had left, I flat bet through the shoe and got up saying "I don't think this is the game for me, that's pretty rough" and left.

Going to be scouting out two new places still kind of "local" to me to see if I can't find anything better.

Hey Night_Rider , so what happened with your first try ?

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Rider View Post
    If I go out on the boat and start asking a lot of questions about rules, hanging around the tables watching, and maybe trying to back count for practice.... am I going to ID myself as a possible / future AP player?
    Playing with perfect basic strategy off the bat may tip them off, but they probably won't care if you're flat-betting table minimum. Simple strategy is trivial to learn, and is almost close enough not to matter. If they offer an "introduction to blackjack" class before they get out to the 12 mile line, that'd be an ideal time to ask all your questions - they're expecting "dumb" questions from new players then. If you're standing around watching, you can always say that you've never really played before, and are just trying to get a handle on the game. Saying that you're new - convincingly- can get you a lot of slack. Having to be "reminded" once or twice that the dealer splits the cards, not the player, might help with the act.

If you're studying strategies in advance, assume it's S17, 6d/8d, DAS*. If you're playing, flat bet table minimum (maybe - just maybe - parlay your winnings, once or twice).

Penetration is likely to suck, and will probably be extremely important to observe - particularly if penetration changes with table limits.

For the most part, I expect that people take these cruises to gamble as much as they possibly can. If your whole act is that you're just trying something new, or your buddy dragged you along (have a buddy for this one), or... then you may have an easier time being the odd one who isn't hammering the slots every possible second.

Purely from the standpoint of enjoying the ride, you may want to be one of the first in line to cash out at the cage, instead of one of the last at the tables/slots. Don't be afraid to go topside and enjoy the view for a while.

*Straight up WAG. If this turns out to be right, you're welcome.
    May the cards fall in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
    Playing with perfect basic strategy off the bat may tip them off, but they probably won't care if you're flat-betting table minimum.
    Umm, do you think the average floor on a cruise-to-nowhere knows basic strategy?
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    Umm, do you think the average floor on a cruise-to-nowhere knows basic strategy?
    May. May. May. It's an outside chance at best.

Besides, it's not that the floor would catch it, it's that a surveillance review would. They probably won't review that table unless someone is spreading wildly and winning.

I think I've met one floor who knows basic strategy in the past 3 years. I've met one dealer who was trying to learn basic strategy, and one dealer who knew it cold (but she was a counter). My expectations are low for house staff. (While on the topic, most of the security around here can intimidate a buffet, but that's about it.)
    May the cards fall in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by hitA7 View Post
    Truly a classic ploppy move. I had a guy once yell at me cus he said I was "messing up his flow" while back counting from a good 7 ft away from the table ????
    Tell him you can recommend a good urologist. it will get a laugh and help you blend in.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
    May. May. May. It's an outside chance at best.

Besides, it's not that the floor would catch it, it's that a surveillance review would. They probably won't review that table unless someone is spreading wildly and winning.

I think I've met one floor who knows basic strategy in the past 3 years. I've met one dealer who was trying to learn basic strategy, and one dealer who knew it cold (but she was a counter). My expectations are low for house staff. (While on the topic, most of the security around here can intimidate a buffet, but that's about it.)
    Please tell me where this is. Out here, every dealer, floor, and surveillance guy knows basic strategy, and it raises zero alarm if a player plays it perfectly (me). I'd love to play in a place where the personnel doesn't even know it lol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast