Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Tech Stocks Booming Again

whether or not you like AI or ChatGPT it has lit a fire in the tech world
    in 2022 the Nasdaq 100 lost one third of its value
    so far in 2023 it's up 31%

I own VGT - a Vanguard index fund that is based on tech - it's way up too -

https://www.industryweek.com/technol...silicon-valley

Last edited by drunk; 06-05-2023 at 08:08 AM.
    Please don't feed the trolls

Blog Entries

the S&P is now in a bull market per the common indicator - the index has risen 20% or more from its most recent low

most of the gains have come from a small group of tech stocks - and some critics say it is unsustainable

https://apnews.com/article/bull-stoc...d5ba64b62815ff
    Please don't feed the trolls

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post

whether or not you like AI or ChatGPT it has lit a fire in the tech world

I don't think people understand how few use cases there are for GPT. Or how limited the potential is for something that is just wrong so much of the time.

There's this assumption it will get better....its not really taking us closer to AGI in actuality.

Blog Entries

ChatGPT is a tiny part of AI. It's just more visible at the moment.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    ChatGPT is a tiny part of AI. It's just more visible at the moment.
    There are LLM's other than chatgpt but they all have the same basic flaw: massive processing power but no higher understanding.

Solve by experiment: look at chatbots which don't utilize LLM's. They are pretty much where they were in the 60's.

Blog Entries

I played with Eliza in the 60s. It was just a silly joke. In the late 70s, I was admin of an ARPANet AI forum. It wasn't related to ChatBots. It had more ambitious goals, mainly medical diagnosis. Early days of what is now the Amarel OARC. Although it was more related to expert systems than AI in those days.
    Last edited by Norm; 06-11-2023 at 10:32 AM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

AI seems like it could build incredibly profitable and industry transformative. I imagine in 5 years we will 1-2 AI companies joining the "FAANG" cadre of stocks. but without a doubt AI is going to bring more innovation in the next decade than the endless rehash of consumer products and enterprise software.

I still prefer value factor strategies stable cashflow today that are largely competitive to a growth strategy, and on an historical basis absolutely crushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I played with Eliza in the 60s. It was just a silly joke.

The story goes that the researcher who developed Eliza tested it out on his secretary. After a while the secretary asked to be left alone with the program. People are so monstrously self-absorbed and narcissistic they will believe something just essentially repeating their own words back to them is intelligent. I think this is happening with Chat-GPT on a grand scale.
    Computers are obviously very good at certain things, medical diagnosis being one of them. But it is very much on a case by case basis.

Blog Entries

And why does this remind you of your mother? Eliza was purely Freudian.

Was Eliza Siri's grandmother?