Thread: Rhetorich: It's not easy being Ian

Rhetorich

Rhetorich: It's not easy being Ian

ROR = sound of MGM lion.

But semi-seriously: In Ian Andersen's "Burning" book, his strategy "for the last 5 years" has been one of making NO playing adjustments for the count, but walking away if the shoe goes bad. His "Ultimate Gambit" and "Crazy Surrender" go waaaay beyond BJA's "Total Camouflage." I'm looking for your support in adopting a new BJ acronym for his playing style => "HRS" (High Roller Strategy) -- pronounced "heresy"

He begins chapter 11 saying he once had a losing streak where he lost 1,458 units. I'd say that one committing heresy *must* have 2 other things: 1. The deep PEN he finds (or 'creates') 2. An unlimited BR.

How accurate is my assessment?

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: It's not easy being Ian

1,458 units. Well that's 2*3*3*3*3*3*3

Or, 2*3^(2*3)

Or, 2*3^2^3

There's a pattern here somewhere.

Rhetorich

Rhetorich: Re: It's not easy being Ian

I believe #2 of the twelve Gambler's Anonymous steps is to acknowledge a Higher Power ---- is it of 2s & 3s???

You're not just a programmer, mathematician & OED reader, you're a factoring factor factory, too!

BTW, can you copy and send me the your OED CD-ROMS and/or OED Online password?

Yeah, right. Just kidding.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: The tin-tin-tabulation of alliteration

> I believe #2 of the twelve Gambler's
    > Anonymous steps is to acknowledge a Higher
    > Power ---- is it of 2s & 3s???

Don't know - I'm stuck on #1.

> You're not just a programmer, mathematician
    > & OED reader, you're a factoring factor
    > factory, too!

And I thought I was bad earlier today when I posted "superficial, simplistic, short-sighted and simply nonsensical."

> BTW, can you copy and send me the your OED
    > CD-ROMS and/or OED Online password?

What's a CD? Actually, I have the full printed version - all 43" long. I'll xerox a copy in the morning. There will be a $4,000 shipping charge. (Actually, that's another sin. Try using the word 'Xerox' as a verb in front of an IBM salesman.)

But we stray from the importance of the original subject matter. Remember that Ian Anderson is the lead singer and writer for Jethro Tull. And as he wrote - "One white duck over zero to the tenth equals nothing at all." I think you'll agree that this is the answer to your original question.

Rhetorich

Rhetorich: Re: The tin-tin-tabulation of alliteration

Patient: "Doctor, I hear a constant barking in both ears. What can it be?!?"

Doctor: "Rin-tin-tin-itus."

John Auston

John Auston: alliteration

Not to digress, but I love alliterations, and Stephen Stills has to one of the best.

E.g. lacy lilting lady, losing love, lamenting

E.g. wordlessly watching he waits by the window and wonders.

E.g. Helplessly hoping her harlequin hovers . . .

E.g. Love isn't lying it's loose in a lady who lingers, saying she is lost