Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood: I HAVE A QUESTION?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hollywood

Hollywood: Mister, what is the advantage

> Dear Hollywood
    > Gave you considered spreading to two hands
    > ANYTIME your bet is MORE than one unit?.

in that?

I have not even considered it.

Are you saying when my count goes to where I would normally put up 2 units for the first time, I should now bet 2 hands of 2 units?

Or are you saying that when the count goes to minus 1 which is where I normally put up 4 units that I should instead go to two hands of 2 units?
    I'm just not certain of what your suggesting.

Thanks

Hollywood

Mister M

Mister M: Re: Mister, what is the advantage

> Are you saying when my count goes to where I
    > would normally put up 2 units for the first
    > time, I should now bet 2 hands of 2 units?

Instead of betting 2 units on one postion, spread to 1 unit each on two positions when a 2 unit bet is called for.This applies ANY time your bet is more than 1 unit.
    Example count calls for 6 unit bet.Play 2 positions of 3 each.
    Run a sim playing with the examples and then compare your current method.The scores have increased!.

Hollywood

Hollywood: Re: Mister, what is the advantage

> Instead of betting 2 units on one postion,
    > spread to 1 unit each on two positions when
    > a 2 unit bet is called for.This applies ANY
    > time your bet is more than 1 unit.
    > Example count calls for 6 unit bet.Play 2
    > positions of 3 each.
    > Run a sim playing with the examples and then
    > compare your current method.The scores have
    > increased!.

Thank you, I will certainly look into this.

Hollywood

Kim Lee

Kim Lee: Yes

Note the object is not to maximize SCORE, it is to maximize certainty equivalent. Fortunately your hand spreading approach does both. Hollywood needs to decide how much he is willing to risk for each truecount (.5% advantage). Let's suppose he is willing to risk $200 per true count. Then he should bet $100 at truecounts of +1, $200 at +2, $400 at +3, ... $1000 at +6. He should bet 2 spots of 75% (150% total) whenever the truecount is greater than +1 and there are other players.

Mister M

Mister M: Re: Yes

Dear Kim
    I generally do play two hands whenever a bet of more than one unit is called for,i.e the ramp cas for a 6 unit bet,i would play two positions of three units each or occasionally split the amount to have 4 and 2.What do you think?.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Yes

> Dear Kim
    > I generally do play two hands whenever a bet
    > of more than one unit is called for,i.e the
    > ramp cas for a 6 unit bet,i would play two
    > positions of three units each or
    > occasionally split the amount to have 4 and
    > 2.What do you think?.

You need to bet MORE on the two hands combined than what you would on one alone. That's what we're trying to explain. Otherwise, you're just using up cards for no increase in EV.

One hand of $100 = two hands of $75. Get it?

Don

Mister M

Mister M: Re: Yes

To clarify then.If my ramp calls for a 6 unit bet for example does it negatively impact the ev by just spreading to 2 positions of 3 units.
    I find this looks more natural to the pit than only spreading to 2 hands when a max is called for but I do not want expectation or ror to be impacted.
    If I understand Kim's post correctly then if I normally would for example bet 12 units at tc+5 this would allow me to bet aprox 18 units if spreading to 2 hands.
    Sorry If I am unclear on this.

Kim Lee

Kim Lee: You are lowering EV

> If my ramp calls for a 6
    > unit bet for example does it negatively
    > impact the ev by just spreading to 2
    > positions of 3 units?

Your EV is not affected on that round. But you eat more good cards, so you get less rounds in a positive count. This lowers your overall EV. Suppose you spread to 6 spots of 1 unit? Now you would quickly eat up all the good shoes, getting only 3 rounds per positive deck, while slogging through many rounds of bad shoes, getting 10 rounds per negative deck. You can't win playing 3 times as many negative rounds as positive rounds without an enormous spread.

It is a basic principle that you should bet more when you have a bigger advantage or less risk. The expectation (per dollar) is identical with one spot or two. But the risk is lower because you have diversification. Therefore you should bet more.

> If I understand Kim's post correctly then if
    > I normally would for example bet 12 units at
    > tc+5 this would allow me to bet aprox 18
    > units if spreading to 2 hands.

That's right.

Mister M

Mister M: Re: You are lowering EV

Thank you for the response Kim.
    Can you explain the following?.
    What difference does it make to ev / ror if one plays in a high count :6hands over 3 rounds or 6 hands over 6 rounds?

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: You are lowering EV

> Thank you for the response Kim.
    > Can you explain the following?.
    > What difference does it make to ev / ror if
    > one plays in a high count :6hands over 3
    > rounds or 6 hands over 6 rounds?

Unusual question. When you're done with the six hands over three rounds, what do you plan to do for the next three rounds, while the count is still high?

Don

Mister M

Mister M: Re: You are lowering EV

> Unusual question. When you're done with the
    > six hands over three rounds, what do you
    > plan to do for the next three rounds, while
    > the count is still high?

Does not one use up the same amount of cards playing for example 6 hands over 3 rounds as opposed to 6 hands over 6 rounds. I am trying to find out if my usual method of spreading to 2 hands when a bet of more than 1 unit is called for will impact ev or ror.
    Are not the same amount of cards up either
    way?.
    I am not speaking of placing a max bet here , just spreading to 2 of 2 rather than 1 of 4 purely as an example.

Mister M

Mister M: Re: Experts please advise!

Cacarulo,kim, Godfather(Don)Will someone out there respond please?.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Experts please advise!

> Cacarulo,kim, Godfather(Don)Will someone out
    > there respond please?.

I think that none of us responded because we're going around in circles. We seem to have answered you a couple of times, but, obviously, there is some miscommunication.

If you were going to bet one hand of $100, but you bet two hands of $50, instead, you're going to lower your hourly EV, because you're using up more cards to get the same $100 on the table. We've suggested that you bet two hands of $75 instead, because now you will increase EV without increasing ROR. The only exception to the latter part of this observation is if you are playing alone, where betting 50% more and using up 50% more cards in the process amounts to, quite literally, playing WITH yourself, as well as BY yourself! :-)

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast