Thread: Greasy John: Remember "Pop's Oasis"

Greasy John

Greasy John: Remember "Pop's Oasis"

Just wondering, was that where the Gold Strike is now? They used to have that little craps table, about half size.

Sonny

Sonny: Re: Remember "Pop's Oasis"

> Just wondering, was that where the Gold
    > Strike is now? They used to have that little
    > craps table, about half size.

They were in Jean I though. Didn't they close back in the 80s?

-Sonny-

Greasy John

Greasy John: Re: Remember "Pop's Oasis"

> They were in Jean I though. Didn't they
    > close back in the 80s?

> -Sonny-

I think you're right, they did close some time ago. Remember the pool at the Fremont atop the parking structure? Or the pool at the Union Plaza that sat atop that champagne glass thing out front? It's fun to reminisce about Vegas. I remember playing blackjack at the Pioneer Club. I think they still "peek" at their hole card at the Golden Gate. Vegas, what a place...

Greasy John

Mr. X

Mr. X: GJ. I do remember "Pop's Oasis"

I thought I was the only one that remembered that place!
    Yes, it's where the Gold Strike now resides.
    Here's a little Pop's Oasis trivia-

On I-15 , near Jean, there was an odd looking ad for Pop's Oasis. It was something like 3 layers of rocks, shaped like-

Not very tall. Had Pop's logo and ad on it. It was bizarre looking. I later learned, that it was supposed to be a pyramid, but they ran out of money (I'd guess $20 in materials), so they just left it at that odd shape, and slapped some advertising on it. Out of context, it didn't make much sense. But if you knew Pop's Oasis as the POS dive that it was, it made perfect sense.