Thread: Bettie: Sandy Murphy, Rick Tabish cleared in Binion murder

Bettie

Bettie: Sandy Murphy, Rick Tabish cleared in Binion murder

Unbelievably (IMHO), Murphy and Tabish were acquitted of the 1998 murder of Ted Binion. They were, however, found guilty of plotting to steal the $8 million in silver Binion kept buried in the desert. So, instead of life without parole, they face up to 16 years in prison.

You can get the whole story using the link below to CNN.com.

Bettie

LVBear584

LVBear584: Did we watch the same trials?

Unbelievably (IMHO), Murphy and Tabish were acquitted of the 1998 murder of Ted Binion.

I was shocked that they were convicted the first time around, and am glad they finally won acquittal of the murder charges. Certainly both are lowlife scum, but there was plenty of reasonable doubt to go around. I thought the case was flimsy, and many of the prosecution witnesses not credible. My impression was that it was a "private prosecution" bought and paid for by the Binion family, with the assistance of the corrupt ex-cop Tom Dillard and the corrupt DA's office.

I think Ms. Murphy will eventually be exonerated on the other charges as well, but not Mr. Tabish.

Saboteur

Saboteur: So she was a golddigger AND a silverdigger? *NM*

Bettie

Bettie: I simply don?t believe in coincidences.

Sandy Murphy was a young woman working a go-nowhere job as a stripper, looking to make a quick buck. Hence, the job as a stripper. [Now, I didn?t say it was an easy buck, though for some strippers, it may be, but you can?t deny that it?s a quick buck ? several hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars can be made a night. I also have nothing against strippers ? they have a lot more courage and self-esteem than I, that?s for sure!]

Is it a coincidence that she ended up living with a wealthy older man that she didn?t love? [Don?t tell me she loved him, or she wouldn?t keep a lover on the side.] It it a coincidence that the man she took as her lover was the guy hired to dig Binion?s underground silver vault? The same one who was caught digging up this fortune 2 days after Binion died?

Is it a coincidence that this ?accidental? overdose occurs just one day after Binion tells his attorney to remove her from his will? Yeah, the guy did a lot of drugs ? about $1 million in heroin by his own estimate. Makes his death by overdose just another coincidence. Years and years of drug use, and NOW he dies?

The day after Binion?s death, Murphy is shown on videotape going through the house, claiming valuables to keep as her own. Is it a coincidence that she did this so soon? She knew that she didn?t really have a claim to anything (after all, Binion wanted her out of the will), and was trying to get this done quickly so that she could get away with ?her? stuff, and Binion?s death.

Is it a coincidence that Binion?s body was covered in bruises and scratches, even though he ?simply? passed out of an overdose? Even in convulsions, he could not have done this to himself. Is it a coincidence that some of the scratches occurred post-mortem, indicating the body had been moved after his death and prior to being ?found??

The prosecution did as good a job as it could, but the ONLY reason that the two were acquitted is because Binion was a drug user. That fact left enough reasonable doubt in the minds of the jury. Too bad.

As I said in my original post, this is all my humble opinion. It?s just a good thing for Murphy and Tabish that I wasn?t one of the jurors.

Bettie

Radar

Radar: Not Being from Vegas

I saw a part on Court TV, or some other cable channel that detailed the events and the first trial.

I recalled them saying that there was evidence to suffocation? Now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but unless he suffocated on his own vomit, someone must have assisted.

I believe both are guilty of his murder and got off only because Ted did drugs and left open an "element of doubt".

This is "Gold-digging" at it's finest...and worst!

Bettie

Bettie: Burked

> I recalled them saying that there was
    > evidence to suffocation? Now, I'm not the
    > sharpest knife in the drawer, but unless he
    > suffocated on his own vomit, someone must
    > have assisted.

There were red spots on his chest that suggested Ted was "burked." Burking is when you asphyxiate someone by sitting on their chest, usually done by weaker assailants after the victim has been drugged. The prosecution said the red spots were bruises from the buttons on his shirt. The defense disagreed, and from what I've read in the paper, the jury didn't buy it, either.

> I believe both are guilty of his murder and
    > got off only because Ted did drugs and left
    > open an "element of doubt".

I concur.

Bettie

methodman

methodman: gulity just like

oj,Petterson,Blake,Shatner-all killed their wifes.
    This stripper and con man killed Binion,damm shame,and now getting off-unreal,,,

Saboteur

Saboteur: That's slanderous

William Shatner has never been charged in the death of his wife.

You're out of line.

Count of Montecristo

Count of Montecristo: Re: That's slanderous

I agree, he should not even be in the same sentence as those others, please remove that.

> William Shatner has never been charged in
    > the death of his wife.

> You're out of line.

methodman

methodman: Shatner gulity too,

>his wife was an expert swimmer yet she died in their
    pool. There has been concrete proof. Read the enquirer for more. In my view he is very guilty sorry to say.

Parker

Parker: Gimme a break

> pool. There has been concrete proof. Read
    > the enquirer for more. In my view he is very
    > guilty sorry to say.

Who appointed you judge and jury?

You actually believe what you read in the Enquirer??? Let's talk about a bridge in Brooklyn I happen to have for sale.

Shatner has never been charged with any crime, let alone been convicted, and in the USA a person is still innocent until proven guilty, at least for the time being.

Furthermore, I don't see how this has anything at all to do with Las Vegas, and am getting really close to deleting the entire thread.

Dog Hand

Dog Hand: No. She's the golddigger, he's the silverdigger! *NM*

Greasy John

Greasy John: Once when I was playing...

blackjack at the Pahrump Nugget I got into a conversation with the dealer about the Binion silver that was buried in Pahrump. The dealer said that "it was buried here". Well I knew that and told him so, and he said, "No, it was buried here". And he went on to say that it was buried in the lot where the Pahrump Nugget now stands.

(It's just an opinion, but I think they did it too.)