Thread: Cacarulo: AMD or Pentium?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    paranoid android

paranoid android: Re: We agree, really :)

> Finally, I've decided for INTEL (PIV 3.0 Ghz
    > Prescott). I've got a 3-year guarantee in my
    > local store for this product but not for the
    > other.

> I was not worried about linux but since I
    > have to use windows for some other
    > applications I didn't want to have any
    > trouble.

There are no compatibility problems with AMD64 and Windows (that I've ever heard of). I was just pointing out that there are already 64-bit versions of the Linux kernel available. So if you're primarily running Linux, you should see better performance than the benchmarks run on Windows (which is 32-bit) indicate. When Windows comes out with their 64-bit version, you should see additional speed-up if you have a 64-bit CPU.

Hopefully, I didn't confuse your decision further. After reading Tom's Hardware reviews, I think you're probably making the right decision going with Intel.

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Tom's Hardware

> There are no compatibility problems with
    > AMD64 and Windows (that I've ever heard of).
    > I was just pointing out that there are
    > already 64-bit versions of the Linux kernel
    > available. So if you're primarily running
    > Linux, you should see better performance
    > than the benchmarks run on Windows (which is
    > 32-bit) indicate. When Windows comes out
    > with their 64-bit version, you should see
    > additional speed-up if you have a 64-bit
    > CPU.

You are probably right but I will feel more comfortable if I wait for a couple of years before going to AMD64. Besides, the recommended AMD64 processor was out of my budget.

> Hopefully, I didn't confuse your decision
    > further. After reading Tom's Hardware
    > reviews, I think you're probably making the
    > right decision going with Intel.

I'm not so sure about the reputation of Tom's Hardware. Check out this link:
    If what they say is true then it's too late

Cac

bfbagain

bfbagain: Tom's

I have been following Tom's Hardware Guide, and Anandtech ( www.anandtech.com ) for years. This comes up every so often, but really, it's not about Intel, or even AMD, they're so close, it's really not an issue. Either way, you're fine, and this will have to be done all over in a couple yesrs regardless.

No buyers remorse. I use them both. The hyperthreading issue is moot. It works.

cheers
    bfb