Thread: Ed Tice: CVBJ

Ed Tice

Ed Tice: CVBJ

Hey Norm,

How about in the next CVBJ, you dont requiret Administrative privileges in order to run the installer?

I dont have Windoze at home so I can only run my CV products at work, but I don't have admin rights on that machine. CVData works just fine and if things were optional like the voice-synthesis, it shouldn't be too hard to make CVBJ installable without admin rights.

Ed

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: CVBJ

It depends on how up to date the system is. The Windows installation process is quite absurd. It is often necessary to update system modules when installing large Windows apps. That requires Administrative privileges. The install examines your system first to see if this is needed. CVBJ & CVData install the same modules. Once one is installed, the other wouldn't need to update the same modules.

> Hey Norm,

> How about in the next CVBJ, you dont
    > requiret Administrative privileges in order
    > to run the installer?

> I dont have Windoze at home so I can only
    > run my CV products at work, but I don't have
    > admin rights on that machine. CVData works
    > just fine and if things were optional like
    > the voice-synthesis, it shouldn't be too
    > hard to make CVBJ installable without admin
    > rights.

> Ed

Ed Tice

Ed Tice: Re: CVBJ

CVData runs just fine for me. But the CVBJ demo does not. I am using NT4 Workstation with all of the latest patches. When I attempt to start CVBJ I get only "Run-time error '429': ActieX component can't create object." Then it dies.

I don't have an up-to-date MSDN subscription anymore so I didn't bother to look up the error code. But those are my results.

Ed

> It depends on how up to date the system is.
    > The Windows installation process is quite
    > absurd. It is often necessary to update
    > system modules when installing large Windows
    > apps. That requires Administrative
    > privileges. The install examines your system
    > first to see if this is needed. CVBJ &
    > CVData install the same modules. Once one is
    > installed, the other wouldn't need to update
    > the same modules.

Sharmon

Sharmon: Re: CVBJ

This is a very common bug on 98 and NT systems especially images . Here is a link that shows the fix http://www.mvps.org/access/bugs/bugs0007.htm .

good luck

> CVData runs just fine for me. But the CVBJ
    > demo does not. I am using NT4 Workstation
    > with all of the latest patches. When I
    > attempt to start CVBJ I get only
    > "Run-time error '429': ActieX component
    > can't create object." Then it dies.

> I don't have an up-to-date MSDN subscription
    > anymore so I didn't bother to look up the
    > error code. But those are my results.

> Ed

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: CVBJ

If you received an error during installation stating that you need administrative privs, you will certainly get an error on running CV. Sharmon's post may be on point as CV installs DAO. It also installs the MS Access run-time. Therefore, it would need the same priviledges as installing MS Office. You might try the solution in Sharmon's post. But, you probably don't need to install regsvr32.exe as it is on most systems. And, the command should be:

Regsvr32 c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao350.dll