Thread: Wildcard: inkjet print cartridges

Wildcard

Wildcard: inkjet print cartridges

Am I missing something, or is this the cash cow of HP?

I needed a #45 black ink cartridge, as my print was really fading fast. Best I could find was 2 for $48.00, this at BJs, like Sam's.

Obviously I have no choice but to pay the freight, it just seems to me that production of these things can't be this complicated. When my printer (a HP deskjet 930C) dies, any recommendations, or do I just suck it up?

Thanks,
    Wildcard

Magician

Magician: Re: inkjet print cartridges

> Am I missing something, or is this the cash
    > cow of HP?

Big time. And not just HP (though they may be the worst offenders).

> Obviously I have no choice but to pay the
    > freight, it just seems to me that production
    > of these things can't be this complicated.
    > When my printer (a HP deskjet 930C) dies,
    > any recommendations, or do I just suck it
    > up?

Just shop around and factor the cost of cartridges into your decision. The more separate inks (some models have up to 7), the more expensive the cartridge. Some of the cheap models only come with half-full "starter cartridges". Some models allow you to replace individual colors rather than the whole cartridge. Some models put the printhead in the cartridge, which may save you from shelling out a fortune to replace a printhead but generally just drives up the cost of the cartridge. It's also possible to refill empty cartridges, although none of the manufacturers think this is a good idea.

You could look into laser printers but I think color ones are rather expensive and toner cartridges are just as over-priced as inkjet cartridges.

Hope this helps.

Wildcard

Wildcard: Re: inkjet print cartridges

Thanks for the reply.

I realize a business has to make a profit, but I'll bet a black that the manufacturing process has got the cost down to under 5 bucks. I'll make damn sure I use the draft setting.

Parker

Parker: Razors

It's the razor marketing method - give away the razor for free (or close to it) and make your money on the blades.

A few years ago even the cheapest Epson went for a couple hundred dollars. Now the local computer superstore routinely has HP inkjet printers on sale for $39 - about the same cost as a replacement ink cartridge.

There are recharged ink cartridges available, along with aftermarket cartridges, and kits that allow you to refill the cartridges yourself.

Unfortunately, I've tried all of them and been less than satisfied with the results.

If you do a lot of black printing, consider a laser printer. The cost per copy is a fraction of the inkjets.

This is true for color laser printers as well, but it takes a lot of color printing to offset the high initial cost of a color laser printer.

Oldster

Oldster: Refilling

I have refilled HP & Lexmark cartridges with reasonable results. Messy job if you spill, but easier than changing oil in your car.

Quality OK for the home stuff I do. LOTS of ink for $20.

> Am I missing something, or is this the cash
    > cow of HP?

> I needed a #45 black ink cartridge, as my
    > print was really fading fast. Best I could
    > find was 2 for $48.00, this at BJs, like
    > Sam's.

> Obviously I have no choice but to pay the
    > freight, it just seems to me that production
    > of these things can't be this complicated.
    > When my printer (a HP deskjet 930C) dies,
    > any recommendations, or do I just suck it
    > up?

> Thanks,
    > Wildcard