Thread: Wildcard: ISP - ?

Wildcard

Wildcard: ISP - ?

I currently use PeoplePC as my ISP. This was by necessity, not choice...it was free and seemed to work ok for a while. Delta Airlines has now decided to allow employees to pay for their own ISP service. People is now $10.95/month...not bad, but logging on is a challenge!

I must have 10 phone numbers plugged into their system, but it seems weird things are now happening that delay connecting.

Does anyone know about, or use BigZoo as their ISP? BigZoo offers several plans that allow for 150 hours per month for $6.95. Their plans vary, but this one seems to fit me. My biggest concern is a hassle free connection, not a never-ending "no answer", "trying next number".

Thanks for all responses and advice...I gotta fire PeoplePC.

Wildcard

BC

BC: Re: ISP - ?

Try Juno.com, I don't know of the availability in your area, but they are $9.95/month and work very well for a dial up. I prefer my cable connection, but use Juno when I am out of town.

BC

> I currently use PeoplePC as my ISP. This was
    > by necessity, not choice...it was free and
    > seemed to work ok for a while. Delta
    > Airlines has now decided to allow employees
    > to pay for their own ISP service. People is
    > now $10.95/month...not bad, but logging on
    > is a challenge!

> I must have 10 phone numbers plugged into
    > their system, but it seems weird things are
    > now happening that delay connecting.

> Does anyone know about, or use BigZoo as
    > their ISP? BigZoo offers several plans that
    > allow for 150 hours per month for $6.95.
    > Their plans vary, but this one seems to fit
    > me. My biggest concern is a hassle free
    > connection, not a never-ending "no
    > answer", "trying next
    > number".

> Thanks for all responses and advice...I
    > gotta fire PeoplePC.

> Wildcard

Parker

Parker: Earthlink

> I currently use PeoplePC as my ISP. This was
    > by necessity, not choice...it was free and
    > seemed to work ok for a while. Delta
    > Airlines has now decided to allow employees
    > to pay for their own ISP service. People is
    > now $10.95/month...not bad, but logging on
    > is a challenge!

> I must have 10 phone numbers plugged into
    > their system, but it seems weird things are
    > now happening that delay connecting.

> Does anyone know about, or use BigZoo as
    > their ISP? BigZoo offers several plans that
    > allow for 150 hours per month for $6.95.
    > Their plans vary, but this one seems to fit
    > me. My biggest concern is a hassle free
    > connection, not a never-ending "no
    > answer", "trying next
    > number".

> Thanks for all responses and advice...I
    > gotta fire PeoplePC.

When I first signed up with Earthlink, they were a little startup company based in Los Angeles, and I was quite proud of my state-of-the-art 9600 Bps modem.

Things have changed a bit since then. :-)

Earthlink is now the third largest ISP in the world, behind AOL and MSN, and they are owned by Sprint. I now use a cable modem at home, but I have found no reason to drop them as my dial-up that I use when on the road.

It's a little more expensive, but for #$21.95/mo I get unlimited access, up to 8 e-mail accounts, and 10 MB for a personal website.

More importantly, they have over 7000 access numbers worldwide. I can get a local number in Las Vegas, Reno or Biloxi, and I cannot recall the last time I got a busy signal or had any difficulty of any sort getting online. They also have 24 hr technical support.

I see no reason to discontinue a service that has given me exactly what I expect from it for many years merely in order to save a tiny amount of money.

Link below, if you're interested.

chsbobby

chsbobby: Re: Earthlink

> Earthlink is now the third largest ISP in
    > the world, behind AOL and MSN, and they are
    > owned by Sprint> It's a little more expensive, but for
    > #$21.95/mo I get unlimited access, up to 8
    > e-mail accounts, and 10 MB for a personal
    > website
    I am with Earthlink and happy with it.

Stumbled across AARP/Earthlink deal: sign up with AARP if you're over 55 (cost $12.50/year, and get $2.00/month discount from Earthlink - save $24/year with EL, minus the $12.50 gives a net of $11.50/year. Plus a lotta goodies, discounts via AARP. Better the $11.50 in my pocket than EL's.

Minor downer, with the EL discount you get a reminder all the time on your start page pushing AARP stuff.

Disclaimer: no connection with AARP or Earthlink

Parker

Parker: Re: Earthlink

> Minor downer, with the EL discount you get a
    > reminder all the time on your start page
    > pushing AARP stuff.

You are not under any obligation to use the "Earthlink Start Page" as your homepage. I certainly don't. If I need something from Earthlink, I go to their website.

Actually, I use Advantageplayer.com as my home page. :-)

It is also not required to use the Earthlink dial-up software. One of the things I like about Earthlink is that they use a simple login script. It is easy to set up Windows dial-up networking for Earthlink, not to mention Linux pppd.

I believe that Earthlink also offers a discount if you are using Sprint as your long distance carrier.