Thread: Dan: hi lo index question

Dan

Dan: hi lo index question

Im familiar with the Hi-Lo Ill 18 index #'s and starting to learn more index numbers. Im assuming that, in general, learning positive index numbers would take priority over learning negative index numbers because more of my money would be at stake in plus count situations. Am I wrong in putting a priority in memorizing plus count index numbers before learning neg index numbers?

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: index question

> Am I wrong in putting a priority in memorizing plus count > index numbers before learning neg index numbers?

No, it's good logic, especially if you are playing shoe games where hopefully you have the ability to stay out of some/all of the negative counts.

Magician

Magician: Other factors

> Im familiar with the Hi-Lo Ill 18 index #'s and
    > starting to learn more index numbers. Im assuming
    > that, in general, learning positive index numbers
    > would take priority over learning negative index
    > numbers because more of my money would be at stake in
    > plus count situations.

Correct. Besides your betting ramp, the other factors that come into play here are the frequency of the hand itself (hit/stand and hard doubling decisions are more frequent than soft doubling and split decisions) and the magnitude of the index (+/-10 counts are rarer than +/-5 counts). Also, if you're maximising SCORE rather than EV, then indices that cause you to surrender more and split/double less will help. Finally, indices are more valuable in general when there are fewer decks in play.

If you want to be completely scientific about it, the method for dertmining what an index is worth is outlined in Blackjack Attack, although it's not for the faint-hearted. :-)

Francis Salmon

Francis Salmon: One exception

If you play heads up - which I don't recommand for a beginner - negative indices at least down to -3 are indispensable.

Francis Salmon