Thread: Seemore Scagnetti: Question for Don

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Francis Salmon

Francis Salmon: So you are a chess programmer?

I find it amazing how the chess programs have increased in strength over the last decade.Ten years ago I would beat them easily but now I'm clearly the underdog with my Elo of 2330.
    So it seems to me you did a great job!

Francis Salmon

gorilla player

gorilla player: Re: So you are a chess programmer?

> I find it amazing how the chess programs
    > have increased in strength over the last
    > decade.Ten years ago I would beat them
    > easily but now I'm clearly the underdog with
    > my Elo of 2330.
    > So it seems to me you did a great job!

> Francis Salmon

yes I am, and yes my program has its way with players rated 2500 and below, which is incredibly hard to believe, since my first program played its first move in 1968 and 5 years later had an official USCF rating of around 1500. A couple of years back four programs played in a round-robin match with 4 GM players (including GM Larry Christiansen to name one, as well as Roman "Dzhindy" who is a good friend of mine). The computers finished in the top 4 places, the four GMs in the bottom four. Never expected that. But then again, neither did I expect Deep Blue to beat Kasparov in 1997.

Technology marches on of course, so even with no software improvements the damned things get stronger ever year. Wish we humans could emulate that.

BTW with a 2300+ rating (FIDE or USCF?) you are obviously not a patzer.