Thread: DoanWorry: Max bet dilemma?

DoanWorry

DoanWorry: Max bet dilemma?

OK, so the count finally goes way positive about 1/4 way into the 8/2 shoe game I'm playing. So the max bet goes out (even start backlining player next to me). Winning my share of the "big" hands, but so is the dealer. Isn't this situation the same as "flat betting"? This high count lasted several rounds (4 decks to a full table). Am I at a higher expectation due to the fact that there is more money on the table and avg bet size has increased, or am I at the same EV as when I had my min waiting bets out? Or is it because I'll get paid more on BJ's that occur during this period?

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Max bet dilemma?

> Winning my
    > share of the "big" hands, but so
    > is the dealer.

Is the dealer getting 3 to 2 for his naturals? Is he permitted to stand on 12-16? Is he permitted to double or split? May he take insurance? May he surrender?

If you're thinking the situation in high counts is somehow "symmetrical" between you and the dealer, consider the above questions. All of the rules of the game 9except having to play first) conspire to favor the player in high counts, no?

> Isn't this situation the same
    > as "flat betting"?

Yes, for 12-16 times as much as your min bet!

> This high count
    > lasted several rounds (4 decks to a full
    > table).

Well, it would have been better if the running count progressively lowered, as you proceeded, indicating that the anticipated high cards were actually coming out, no? Maybe you meant the true count.

> Am I at a higher expectation due to
    > the fact that there is more money on the
    > table and avg bet size has increased,

You have that backwards. There is more money on the table and bet size has increased BECAUSE the count is higher, no?

> or am
    > I at the same EV as when I had my min
    > waiting bets out?

Then why would you have raised your bets in the first place. You need to rethink what you're doing here, and why you're doing it!

> Or is it because I'll get
    > paid more on BJ's that occur during this
    > period?

That's a part of it. Go back to the beginning questions to see the rest of it.

Don

DoanWorry

DoanWorry: I think I understand but

First off, sorry for the repost with no new stuff in it. A slip of the mouse finger.

> Is the dealer getting 3 to 2 for his
    > naturals? Is he permitted to stand on 12-16?
    > Is he permitted to double or split? May he
    > take insurance? May he surrender?

> If you're thinking the situation in high
    > counts is somehow "symmetrical"
    > between you and the dealer, consider the
    > above questions. All of the rules of the
    > game 9except having to play first) conspire
    > to favor the player in high counts, no?

This is true at all counts. I do however understand what you mean, that the player has much more flexibility IF dealt the small cards than the dealer would.

> Yes, for 12-16 times as much as your min
    > bet!

I understand that part of it too.

> Well, it would have been better if the
    > running count progressively lowered, as you
    > proceeded, indicating that the anticipated
    > high cards were actually coming out, no?
    > Maybe you meant the true count.

It did but it remained extremely high (TC) right up to the shuffle card. So still lots of faces or aces left in the undealt pack.

> You have that backwards. There is more money
    > on the table and bet size has increased
    > BECAUSE the count is higher, no?
    > Then why would you have raised your bets in
    > the first place. You need to rethink what
    > you're doing here, and why you're doing it!

Correct, that's why the bets went to max BECAUSE the count went so high. It just seems that except for the flexibility of player's play choices (as stated above), when you reach max bet your trading 20's and pushes with the dealer with the same $$ in the circle. Don't misunderstand me, I realize that the advantage to my side of the table increases dramatically when the count goes way up, and I trust the math implicitly, it just appears that we meet this upper "flat bet ceiling" in these situations.

> That's a part of it. Go back to the
    > beginning questions to see the rest of it.

> Don

Thanks Don for your response. I have BJA 2nd edition. It is a treasure trove of info that I wouldn't want to be without.