Thread: Sun Runner: Richard Albert Canfield

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Richard Albert Canfield

Another history lesson if you don't mind.

The very first book I ever read about beating BJ was this guy's "Blackjack Your Way To Riches."

I was fascinated and read that book many, many times.

Now, having become much wiser about all things BJ (!?) I have a better feel for where this book fits in the grand scheme of BJ history.

But, about his counting system.
    He never seems to get credit for it.

Seems to me that his Master Count is the same as the Omega II count which was introduced later, I think, by a guy named Bryce Carlson.

The style of the book, in retrospect, was a bit goofy, but the basic information presented seems as relevant today as many others.

What is he doing today?

For some reason, I think he lived in or around San Diego county several years ago.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

SR

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Going on memory here

Which isn't always that good. Canfield (nee Joe Hinton) was a pitboss during the early years of counting. He switched sides and put out BJ Your way to Riches and also put out a monthly newsletter. I forget the name, but I'm sure Blackjack was in there somewhere He retired quite awhile back after which his monthly newsletter continued under his name but was written by a guy named Robert Gates, or something like that. Gates later sold the subscriber list to Eddie Olsen, publisher of BJ Confidential, and left the BJ field. I don't know who developed Canfield Master, but it was certainly published by Canfield long before AOII. AOII's advantage is price, and the indexes are better.

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Thanks. *NM*

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Going on memory here

> Which isn't always that good. Canfield (nee
    > Joe Hinton) was a pitboss during the early
    > years of counting. He switched sides and put
    > out BJ Your way to Riches and also put out
    > a monthly newsletter. I forget the name, but
    > I'm sure Blackjack was in there somewhere

Blackjack Monthly Newsletter.

Very accurate account, Norm. Good memory!

Don

Rob McGarvey

Rob McGarvey: Re: Going on memory here

> Very accurate account, Norm. Good memory!

Must come from memorizing a lot of indices when he was a school boy ;>

Scott

Scott: Re: Richard Albert Canfield

I hope I'm posting this message correctly?? I've been playing BJ using Canfield's book and tables for about 6 years. I don't play often but I'm usually very successful when I do play. I seldom loose. Because of this I am hesitant to change but from my research, noone is recommending Canfields book. So I'm on a mission to find a better system and think I'm going to change to the system in "Blackjack Attack". From what I've read, I'm pretty sure the experts reading this message would probably recommend the change. Let me know if I'm not going in the right direction.

Thanks

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Richard Albert Canfield

> I don't play
    > often but I'm usually very successful when I
    > do play. I seldom loose.

But, do you ever [i]lose?[i] Sorry, I couldn't resist. :-)

> So I'm
    > on a mission to find a better system and
    > think I'm going to change to the system in
    > "Blackjack Attack".

Which system is that? I'm familiar with the book, but didn't know that it recommended a counting system. :-)

>From what I've
    > read, I'm pretty sure the experts reading
    > this message would probably recommend the
    > change. Let me know if I'm not going in the
    > right direction.

It's not clear to me what direction that is.

Don

Mister M

Mister M: Re: Richard Albert Canfield

If you "seldom lose' then don't change the system.
    The master system was one of the most accurate ever devised and as aresult or that the OMEGA II COUNT was born.
    In truth canfield was way ahead of his time considering the lack of 21 st century sims.
    The transition to the OMEGA system should prove no problem for you and it has more accurate indices so by BJ for Blood and prosper!

Scott

> But, do you ever lose? Sorry, I couldn't
    > resist. :-)

> Which system is that? I'm familiar with the
    > book, but didn't know that it recommended a
    > counting system. :-)

> It's not clear to me what direction that is.

> Don

Sorry, I posted this message before I read you book assuming you liked the Hi-Lo count 2-6=+1 and 1-A=-1: Canfields system is 3-7=+1 and 9-K=-1. (I keep a side count of A's with my feet using pressure points - I can't keep two counts in my head at once)

How often to I loose - I've played 6 times the last 3 months or so and lost a little over 200 once (200 is my maximum loss / I lost over 200 because the count was very high) and I've won 600-2k the other 5 times. I keep track of win's losses for the fun of it.

My question: is the Hi-low system I described above worth changing from Canfields? If not, is there any other somewhat simple system you would recommend as an upgrade. For some reason Canfields 1977 copy right date makes me feel like I could be loosing out (I mean: could be winning more)

Thanks,

P.S. I don't claim to be the greatest, but I can disguise pretty well.

Scott

> If you "seldom lose' then don't change
    > the system.
    > The master system was one of the most
    > accurate ever devised and as aresult or that
    > the OMEGA II COUNT was born.
    > In truth canfield was way ahead of his time
    > considering the lack of 21 st century sims.
    > The transition to the OMEGA system should
    > prove no problem for you and it has more
    > accurate indices so by BJ for Blood and
    > prosper!

Thanks M, I'll check out the Omega II. If it is much more difficult to use however, I probably won't use it.

Thanks again

Mister M

Mister M: Re: Richard Albert Canfield

I was under the impression that the master system was used but from your values in the post to Don I note that you are using the expert instead as per Canfields book?
    Omega II is basically an upgraded version of the master system with a more accurate stategy.
    As you are winning often then why change to a level II unless you play frequently?
    The win rate for your system will be approximate to HI-OPT 1 or HI-LO but I would question the wisdom of a level 1 count with BOTH ace side counting and true count estimation especially as using HI-LO or KO would be far easier.
    Please note that the Godfather (DON!)is not recommending the HI-LO per se but uses this example throughout because it has always been the count of choice for the masses although the KO has gained in popularity.I have used several counts in actual play so if you have any queries I'll try to help if posible.