Thread: RayMetz100: Copying a counter

RayMetz100

RayMetz100: Copying a counter

While I was at my regular $3 table a few nights ago, there were two 23ish year old goofballs there, acting real silly. Of all the people watching I've done in my 2500 hands there, these two looked the most like counters to me.

There are several reasons that lead me to believe they were counting and trying to put on good cover. They were sharing their same bank. One would play for a few hands, while the other was out, then he'd come back and they'd switch for a while. They both had what looked like drinks, but they were both full the whole time. As zany as they were, I doubt they were drunk. They were acting real crazy, spreading their bets from 1 hand of $3, to 2 hands of $50. Every time they had a stiff hand against the dealers bust card, they would put on a big show like they couldn't decide weather to hit or not, but after much deliberation, they would always stay (perfect BS plays). It seemed like no matter how much they had out there, they'd always place a white($1) chip on top of their stack. I'm no counter, but it looked to me like their bets would be higher towards the end of certain shoes, and that they would always skyrocket after a bunch of low cards came out.

The things that made me think they were NOT counting was the fact that they were really slowing down the game with their big act. Every time they'd go to bet a new hand, they'd shuffle their chips like they couldn't decide how much to bet. Maybe that was part of the act too.

Bottom line is, If I can't count myself, but am convinced that I'm playing with a counter, and have the bank for the higher standard deviation(which I don't yet), should I try to raise my bets in accordance to what the supposed counter does? Or is that horrible etiquette? The pit and dealers were giving them absolutely no heat at all, but you could tell the dealer and other players were annoyed by their slowness of play, I was too.

Thanks,

Ray

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: Copying a counter

> should I try to raise my bets in accordance
    > to what the supposed counter does? Or is
    > that horrible etiquette?

If you have watched and studied these individuals enough to know that they are -in fact -good solid advantage players, why not follow their lead?

As long as you are not spitting on the table, what does etiquette have to do with it? But wouldn't it be a hoot if you got 86ed for counting while these guys played right along!

> but you could tell the dealer and other
    > players were annoyed by their slowness of
    > play, I was too.

I am surprised their slow play annoyed you. Isn't it your strategy to flat bet for comps while playing BS only? I would think their slow play would allow you to stay longer at the table and minimize your $$$ losses while maximizing your comps.

Good luck.

SR

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Copying a counter

> But wouldn't it be a hoot if you got
    > 86ed for counting while these guys played
    > right along!

That's an extremely likely possibility, and it wouldn't be the first time such as thing has happened.

Don

mraudio20

mraudio20: Re: Copying a counter

I wouldn't do it unless you are counting? That's only because you won't know how to play your hands correctly if dealt a stiff. For example, if you are playing perfect BS you would hit a 16 vs. 10, when you should most likely stand. Learn the Illustrious 18 and the Hi-Lo count. They are in two great books: Proffesional Blackjack, and Blackjack Attack. This will be the best money you ever invest. And you can buy both of them for less than the cost of copying a counter.