Thread: MJ: SCORE Question

MJ

MJ: SCORE Question

It is well understood that SCORE represents $/Hr given 100 hands dealt per hour. Assuming a counter's expectation is to earn $0.50/Hand with an SD of $100/hand, assuming he plays 100 hands per hour then his Wr/Hr, or SCORE, should clearly be $50/Hr.

For some reason, when I plug the variables into the SCORE equation I get 25 instead of 50.

(Wr/Hand / SD/Hand) x 1000 = DI
    $0.50 / $100) x 1000 = 5

SCORE = DI^2 = 5^2 = $25

Why does the SCORE not equal $50?

MJ

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: SCORE Question

> It is well understood that SCORE represents $/Hr given
    > 100 hands dealt per hour.

Only with a $10,000 bank and optimal betting! Otherwise, it isn't a "genuine" SCORE!

> Assuming a counter's
    > expectation is to earn $0.50/Hand with an SD of
    > $100/hand, assuming he plays 100 hands per hour then
    > his Wr/Hr, or SCORE, should clearly be $50/Hr.

Oops! Same problem. You can't just make up the numbers. :-)

> For some reason, when I plug the variables into the
    > SCORE equation I get 25 instead of 50.

> (Wr/Hand / SD/Hand) x 1000 = DI
    > $0.50 / $100) x 1000 = 5

> SCORE = DI^2 = 5^2 = $25

> Why does the SCORE not equal $50?

See above. When you look at all of the chapter 10 charts, the W/100 and the SCORE are always identical for the optimal lines, as they should be. But, you can't just make up the numbers, as you did, above, assuming that WR = SCORE. WR doesn't always equal SCORE, otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered to call it SCORE! :-)

If you don't follow all of the requirements when you generate the numbers, you get a plain-old ordinary hourly win rate, but you don't get a SCORE.

Don

MJ

MJ: Re: SCORE Question

> Only with a $10,000 bank and optimal betting!
    > Otherwise, it isn't a "genuine" SCORE!

> Oops! Same problem. You can't just make up the
    > numbers. :-)

I made up the numbers...being that the WR and 'SCORE' are different, does that mean that there is no optimal bet schedule at full kelly and 10k bank that will produce a SCORE of 50?

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: SCORE Question

> I made up the numbers...

Clearly! :-)

> being that the WR and 'SCORE'
    > are different, does that mean that there is no optimal
    > bet schedule at full kelly and 10k bank that will
    > produce a SCORE of 50?

No, it means that there is no optimal bet schedule at full Kelly and $10K that will produce a SCORE of 50 while also having the s.d. that you gave. In other words, all the parts are interconnected, and the ROR won't come out right.

For example, using your numbers, and the approximation, from p. 113, that r = e^(-2eB/Var) we would get:
    r = e^-1 = 37%. So, clearly not 13.5%. That's why SCORE is only 25 but win rate is 50. To get that win rate, you're overbetting your bankroll, if betting optimally is the mandate.

Don