Thread: zoomie: Congratulations Josh

zoomie

zoomie: Congratulations Josh

The NY Times gives a generally very good review to Josh Axelrad's "Repeat Until Rich." Calls him "a real writer - a muscular, cynical and observant one." Way to go Josh!

Bettie

Bettie: Re: Congratulations Josh

I received a copy almost two weeks ago from the publisher but haven't had a chance to start it yet. I will say this, however: Why can't anyone get the layout of a blackjack game right on the cover of a book?! In this case, the dealer is laying down the cards toward himself instead of the players. Looking forward to reading it, though.

Bettie

Greasy John

Greasy John: Re: The book cover

> I received a copy almost two weeks ago from the
    > publisher but haven't had a chance to start it yet. I
    > will say this, however: Why can't anyone get the
    > layout of a blackjack game right on the cover of a
    > book?! In this case, the dealer is laying down the
    > cards toward himself instead of the players. Looking
    > forward to reading it, though.

> Bettie

Bettie,

I looked at the cover of the book and I can see where the player's cards are layered toward the dealer. Isn't this the way it is in the game? When the player takes a hit the hit card/s layer toward the dealer, don't they?

GJ

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: The book cover

> Bettie,

> I looked at the cover of the book and I can see where
    > the player's cards are layered toward the dealer.
    > Isn't this the way it is in the game? When the player
    > takes a hit the hit card/s layer toward the dealer,
    > don't they?

Yes, they do. Not sure what Bettie is referring to. Of course, they should be a little more offset, on more of a diagonal, but they are layered correctly. The cards are properly built towards the dealer; they aren't supposed to build towards the player.

Don

Bettie

Bettie: Re: The book cover

Yep, chalk it up to a brain fart! I was looking at the cover and something bothered me about it. When a (non-playing) friend said she thought the cards were laid out wrong. I just replied that must be it and set the book aside. Looked at it again just now and see that I was wrong. Still something about the cover that bugs me, but must just be the general design rather than anything technical.

Bettie

Greasy John

Greasy John: Re: The book cover

> Yep, chalk it up to a brain fart! I was looking at the
    > cover and something bothered me about it. When a
    > (non-playing) friend said she thought the cards were
    > laid out wrong. I just replied that must be it and set
    > the book aside. Looked at it again just now and see
    > that I was wrong. Still something about the cover that
    > bugs me, but must just be the general design rather
    > than anything technical.

> Bettie

Bettie,

Could be that the dealer is playing his hand from the "dealer hits soft seventeen" portion of the layout. That would never happen. Or that Josh's bet would never be allowed to play on the corner edge (half-in half-out) of the betting square.

GJ

JoshAxelrad

JoshAxelrad: Re: Congratulations / Book cover

> The NY Times gives a generally very good review to
    > Josh Axelrad's "Repeat Until Rich." Calls
    > him "a real writer - a muscular, cynical and
    > observant one." Way to go Josh!

Thank you, Z.

RE: that ol' cover. I had little say. I really liked what they did, though. It is dynamic and ominous. I totally dig it.

I totally dig the implicit narrative they probably didn't even realize they were inserting into it. (The designer is not a blackjack player, I'm quite sure.) Here you have a round with 3 net hi-lo points but no luck at all for the player. If this ain't familiar I don't know what is. The bet size implies that insurance was taken; lack of bet in view on the insurance line shows that insurance was lost. So we're already stuck. And somehow I know there's a nine in that hole.

There was a near-to-comical back-and-forth in which I urged the correction of a few details that really would have stuck out to an experienced player. Even so it's an impressionistic thing, with the table foreshortened and the bet out of place. But they had to make room for my name. I couldn't bring myself to argue there.

ReKO Kid

ReKO Kid: Re: Congratulations / Book cover

Josh: Loved the book, pre-ordered from Amazon. Really an enjoyable read. Good work.

Agattu

Agattu: Re: Congratulations Josh

> I just finished the book also and enjoyed it very much. Josh, you are a good writer. In the book it mentioned you had won $700,000. If so, why were you tapped out when u lost $50,000 at online poker? Was the $700,000 what u won for the team?