Thread: Viktor Nacht: Lance Humble Interview Added to Library!

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Lance Humble Interview Added to Library!

Robert V. Lux's latest interview with Lance Humble has been posted to the AdvantagePlayer.com Blackjack Library. From Lance's early days to his interactions with controversial characters and to his thoughts in AHOII, this is one of the most interesting interviews yet.

Good Cards,

V

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Lance Humble Interview Added to Library!

I'd like to make one comment about the below exchange:

"Q#9: In the selected biography source in The World's Greatest Blackjack Book, Jerry L. Patterson's A Winner's Handbook is listed. By many serious players and authors he is considered being a rip-off. For what reasons did you chose to use his work as a source of information?

"Ken Cooper listed that book. I did not realize that the book was not very useful. I was too busy gambling, owning race horses, teaching and researching at the university, and practicing psychotherapy as a licensed therapist (as well as raising a family!) in those years. I apologize to all the readers that spotted that faux pas."

All of Jerry's books, at the time (1980), were perfectly respectable and highly regarded, as was Jerry himself. Lance was completely justified in including Patterson in his bibliography, given the time frame. He needn't apologize.

It wasn't until 1983-4, with TARGET, that Jerry turned to the dark side. Perhaps when the book went into paperback Lance should have expunged Patterson from the record.

Don

suicyco maniac

suicyco maniac: Any thoughts Don?

I have an early edition of Pattersons book and as Don stated it is not full of BullS*** but good solid BJ. I often wonder why he changed his views so radicly was it just for the sales. Don you used to work with him do you have anny answers?

> I'd like to make one comment about the below
    > exchange:

> "Q#9: In the selected biography source
    > in The World's Greatest Blackjack Book,
    > Jerry L. Patterson's A Winner's Handbook is
    > listed. By many serious players and authors
    > he is considered being a rip-off. For what
    > reasons did you chose to use his work as a
    > source of information?

> "Ken Cooper listed that book. I did not
    > realize that the book was not very useful. I
    > was too busy gambling, owning race horses,
    > teaching and researching at the university,
    > and practicing psychotherapy as a licensed
    > therapist (as well as raising a family!) in
    > those years. I apologize to all the readers
    > that spotted that faux pas."

> All of Jerry's books, at the time (1980),
    > were perfectly respectable and highly
    > regarded, as was Jerry himself. Lance was
    > completely justified in including Patterson
    > in his bibliography, given the time frame.
    > He needn't apologize.

> It wasn't until 1983-4, with TARGET, that
    > Jerry turned to the dark side. Perhaps when
    > the book went into paperback Lance should
    > have expunged Patterson from the record.

> Don

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Any thoughts Don?

> I have an early edition of Pattersons book
    > and as Don stated it is not full of BullS***
    > but good solid BJ. I often wonder why he
    > changed his views so radicly was it just for
    > the sales. Don you used to work with him do
    > you have any answers?
    I have all the answers, as I went through the whole process with Jerry. I have outlined them many times before, so you'll forgive me if I don't have the patience to rehash the whole mess again here.

Suffice it to say that, lured by the the almighty buck, Jerry decided that principal was more important than principle, and couldn't help seeing the dollar signs that he thought TARGET represented. So, he traded his reputation to boost his sales. Sad.

Don

suicyco maniac

suicyco maniac: Thanks Don "NM" *NM*