See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Being a Smartass Cost Me $50

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
    Sorry Tthree but this post really made me chuckle. Was wondering, when you have 3 unknown attackers coming at you how are you determining who's the toughest? Isn't pretty silly to generalize how many attackers one can handle? I could probably handle 12 if they were all from the local girl scout troop. But if there were just 2 skilled fellas out of my local MMA gym, might be a bad day. There is only one rule in fighting outside of sport, don't assume anything is as it seems.
    Tb, I dunno, those girl scouts can get pretty nasty
    “One man’s remorse is another man’s reminiscence.” Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    The difference is he violated procedure by taking another card. It may even be called cheating in some jurisdictions. Let's say the count is negative and you just keep burning cards when you have already busted. I believe once they figured it out you would be called a cheat and asked not to come back. He cheated the guy out of money not cost the guy money. If it worked out the other way his cheating made the guy money. That is the difference between all the taking the dealers bust card with a legal index play and what occurred here. Glen was not allowed to legally take a card and he did so on purpose not by accident. He cheated the guy out of the money and was right to repay it whether the guy was about to kick his arse or not. Am I wrong that knowingly hitting a busted hand is cheating? Just because you can get away with it doesn't mean it isn't cheating.
    WHOA FOLKS.........are we not overlooking the real culprit here? The DEALER is responsible for proper play, the guy had two face cards up and two hold cards....duh!

I would not consider it his responsibility to pay third base. What should have happened was the pit critter should have settled with third base. Many times after holding hard 16 with a dealer 10 and high count only to learn that the dealer had 20, I have asked , jokingly, to hit me. If he did, is that my fault?

Just saying...

Stealth
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

As an aside, this is good idea in negative counts to burn the cards in situations where it is not obvious to the dealer that you have busted. Wouldn't make a habit of it in the same session.

But even so, this Dealer was not doing their job. In my experience in dealer error situations the PC has often let me play the hand and pay if I win and return my money if I lose. Heads I win tails you lose. Pretty good EV.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

"Cheating people," Tthree? You're entitled to your opinion, but that's over the top.

I never thought my post would cause so much controversy. Who wants an ice cream cone? I'm buyin'

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by glenwiggy View Post
    I never thought my post would cause so much controversy. Who wants an ice cream cone? I'm buyin'
    You're on! I did enjoy the story.

The story is funny and the thread is funny.

My two cents: mistakes by players and dealers happen and it is the floor supervisors responsibility to handle them to keep the players happy. Burning of the card was correct but the floors mistake was playing the hand as is. He should've pushed all losing wagers and paid winning wagers after the mistake, then shuffle. In the case of players making mistakes on purpose, it is again the floors job to determine if the player is shot taking. For the first claim, floor should give the benefit of the doubt and anything afterwards will create patterns and eventually action can be taken.
    Last edited by T. Dane; 05-18-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Dane View Post
    He should've pushed all losing wagers and paid winning wagers after the mistake, then shuffle.
    If this is going to be the rule, is it going to apply only when the dealer hits a hand that it's obvious from the exposed cards is already busted, or is it also going to apply when it's not obvious? If you think that players never intentionally take hits, not understanding that their hands have already busted, you've never played at Circus Circus Reno. Following the last hit, they might just tuck. :-)

It is not a written rule but it would've made for a better call. You can't please everybody on the table. In Glens case, his bet still lost and will not be pushed, with this he can then make a claim of other players losing and they got to keep their money and he didn't, then things can escalate to more claims of "but this happened an hour ago or this happened last week" and on and on...also, every situation will be different and management decision mostly depends on who the players are and how much money is on the table. Generally, the floor can make a call on the spot if the amount is less than $500.

In the case of people tucking in bust hands which happens often, this falls under shot taking if the player still can't add after being warned.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Dane View Post
    In the case of people tucking in bust hands which happens often, this falls under shot taking if the player still can't add after being warned.
    You don't understand. Circus Circus players really CAN'T add. And warning them won't change the situation! I'm talking about tucking when it was the second-to-last hit card that busted them!

Sounds like it's time for them to consider changing their procedure and deal face up

One time my friends and I were in a bar in San Juan playing pool. These three little kids, who were about fifteen and maybe a buck twenty soaking wet are playing at the table next to use. My friend starts talking to one of them and next thing they are playing a game for money. My friend beats him but then the kid says he didn't bank the eightball so he lost. Kid points to a sign on the wall stating the house rules and that all games must be played using these rules. Eight ball had to be banked. My friend refuses to pay and the three kids get pretty loud. Security guy comes and tells them to leave. A few hours later, as we leave the same security guy tells us to be careful, the kids are street kids and are known to jump tourists. There are five of us and we are about four blocks from the hotel so we don't give it much thought. About two blocks into the walk is a stretch of about 100 yards that is under construction.
    Sure enough, the three kids are there, along with about thirty of their friends. All look to be in their early teens and not one of them the size of an average man.
    The kid who won the game walks up to my friend and tells him that now he has to give him his wallet, his watch and his shoes or his people will fuk us all up. Looking around, we see one or two boxcutters and a couple of improvised clubs.
    Suddenly, my friend John, a NYPD anti-crime cop, who was not involved in the pool game violently shoves the kid closest to him. The kid falls backward, and in one motion John grabs him by his ankles and swings him in a circle, knocking down about a half dozen of the kids. Rich, the guy who lost the game suddenly lunges forward and spears the gangleader so hard that they both end up a good five yards from where they were standing. John tosses his first victim into the bushes , grabs another kid off the ground and puts him in a chicken wing. He yells out that if everyone isn't gone in three seconds, he'll snap the kids arm. Everyone scattered and we started laughing so hard we literally couldn't stand up. Three or four minutes later, four or five patrol cars race up, someone had called 911 and reported a group of tourist being mugged.
    One of the best thirty seconds of my life.
    Let me die in my sleep like my Grandfather.
    Not screaming in agony like his passengers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast