See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Auditioning Spotters

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Just seeing who would bite?
    Let me die in my sleep like my Grandfather.
    Not screaming in agony like his passengers.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Is this a civil suit to be heard by Norm? I am not sure that was what he meant when he told Boz to be civil.
    dont u worry tthree ur not the only 1 confuzedcuz others R also confused not just u LOLz!!1
    Last edited by Mr. White; 02-22-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    "I did it for me..... I liked it. I was good at it...and I was...really...I was alive..."

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    Here is the Ghandi quote. you might see it with slight variations as I'm not sure if the original was done in English. Its from 1890 when he was living in Africa.

" A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us, rather we depend on him. He is not an interuption to our work, he is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business, he is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us the opportunity to serve him."

I first read it around 1994 in one of my rivals niteclubs and Iliked it so much that I had plaques made in both English and Spanish and hung in my employee work areas.
    Shad,

Our "leaders' in Gov. should read and follow those fine words.

Ouchez

There are moocho moocho more words, concepts, behaviors and perspectives that would benefit the oligarchy to espouse, Oz, unfortunately quarterly profit statements have them hypnotised currently....
    “The essence of independence has been to think and act according to standards from within, not without.”
    Aleister Crowley

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by lurppis View Post
    It just breeds. Just because "X breeds Y" is a common figure of speech doesn't mean people can't use "breeds" metaphorically in other ways, especially when they make perfect sense.
    It's likely he meant "exacerbated".
    It's clearly the dealers who is helpless. The other interpretation makes no sense.

Only one of the three mistakes you spotted was actually incorrect, and it has nothing to do with grammar.
    Wrong! 1) 'familiarity breeds contempt' is the correct idiomatic expression. breeds is a verb, meaning to cause to procreate. As used here incorrectly, breeds is used as an intransitive verb: contempt procreates, which you can say is metaphorical, but I also rain is dry and call any other incorrect observations and language a metaphor. Rain is dry because it is dull. Used correctly and more commonly as a transitive verb: negative experiences breed contempt.

2) Correct.

3) Obviously it's the dealers who are helpless. There is pronoun/subject confusion. Both dealers and consequences are plural. It is not clear to which subject 'they' belongs. The confusion results from a run-on sentence.
    Last edited by Boz; 02-24-2013 at 01:25 PM.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    And the streak continues.
    Let me die in my sleep like my Grandfather.
    Not screaming in agony like his passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Exasperate:
    1) To make very angry or impatient; annoy greatly
    2)To increase the gravity of

Exacerbate would indeed be a better word, though. It didn't occur to me. Sue me? I suppose it's of little surprise that you're a leading authority on the fine points of exasperation.

Thank you, Lurppis, well said.

Next time I'll be sure to throw in "u" and "ur" no less than 3 times per rambling paragraph so Boz can follow along.

So anyway, back to blackjack....
    oh u messed w/me mr. white. i was only givin u a hard time. u know u the man.

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    Exacerbate is practically a synonym thereto.
    In the words of the great zg, wrong. Exasperate usually refers to a person, meaning to irritate. "increase the gravity of' is an obscure definition. Exacerbate refers to a thing, meaning to make worse. It's not wrong to use exasperate in this instance, it's just very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Is this a civil suit to be heard by Norm? I am not sure that was what he meant when he told Boz to be civil.
    ur just worried when the spelling police show up, they're gonna ask u how to spell 3.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by shadroch View Post
    And the streak continues.
    Please dont read my posts or make comments. Thank you for your time. U are a wonderful person.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    1) 'familiarity breeds contempt' is the correct idiomatic expression. breeds is a verb, meaning to cause to procreate. As used here incorrectly, breeds is used as an intransitive verb: contempt procreates, which you can say is metaphorical, but I also rain is dry and call any other incorrect observations and language a metaphor. Rain is dry because it is dull. Used correctly and more commonly as a transitive verb: negative experiences breed contempt.
    "Contempt breeds" is no more or less metaphorical than "familiarity breeds contempt", nor is it any more or less correct. The second is more common, but it implies the possibility of the first, because in order for something to be bred, it has to be something which is able to (in the intransitive sense) breed.

Obviously it's the dealers who are helpless.
    It is not clear to which subject 'they' belongs
    I think this contradiction speaks for itself.

Banned or Suspended

User is banned, content deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    I said "practically" as in almost a synonym, but Thesaurus.com disagrees: they ARE synonyms.
    http://thesaurus.com/browse/exacerbate
    http://thesaurus.com/browse/exasperate
    LOL. Fine they can, in general be synonyms if u want. But orb is a synonym of apple. Do u eat orbs for lunch? No, it makes no sense. If u call exasperate and exacerbate synonyms, it's just gonna confuse the people who are wrong. Then i'll have to be like, hey wrong people, here's a better explanation of y ur still wrong, if u still wanna talk about it. then i'll go haha, and then they'll complain, and i'll get yelled at. Speaking of, I figured out how to block people. Anybody who likes to complain, let me know now and i'll block u! I already blocked four people! Stopgambling--ch...that's all i got to say.
    Last edited by Boz; 02-24-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast