See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about soft doubles.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Question about soft doubles.

So why are certain soft doubles better than others? I understand soft 17, 18, and 19 are good soft doubles because even if you get a monkey you still have a decent hand. But why is soft 13 worse than soft 16? Basic strategy and indeces are quicker to double soft 15 and 16 rather than soft 13 or 14. For example, to double soft 13 vs 3 would have to be a skyrocket count. But to double soft 15 or 16 vs 3 is around 0. So why is that?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubz274 View Post
    So why are certain soft doubles better than others? I understand soft 17, 18, and 19 are good soft doubles because even if you get a monkey you still have a decent hand. But why is soft 13 worse than soft 16? Basic strategy and indeces are quicker to double soft 15 and 16 rather than soft 13 or 14. For example, to double soft 13 vs 3 would have to be a skyrocket count. But to double soft 15 or 16 vs 3 is around 0. So why is that?

One reason might be on something like soft 13 if you get a 2, or 3, you could hit again if you didn't double.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    One reason might be on something like soft 13 if you get a 2, or 3, you could hit again if you didn't double.
    That makes total sense, the answer I was looking for... Thanks

That makes total sense, the answer I was looking for... Thanks

But not the right one. You’re looking to improve your hand.
    Soft 17, 4 cards retain value, 4 cards improve value, & 5 cards devolve value. Retain or improve is 8/13
    Soft 18, roughly 20% better starting value, 4 cards retain value, 3 cards improve value, and 6 cards devolve value. Retain or improve is 7/13, note better starting value
    Soft 13, 5 cards improve value, 8 cards give you the same shitty value.

Further equate the dealer higher bust rates of 23&4 versus bust rates of 5&6.

There’s more to it. Trust you get the point.
    Last edited by Freightman; 12-19-2018 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Correct egregious error on second last line

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Some are very risky because the key cards for the dealer to make a strong hand are neutral cards. If you have no information on them, not even the weak info of having them as a card in a group of cards counted in the main count, the dealer may be too likely to make a strong hand. Soft doubles against a 3 are weak doubles unless you have info on the 8 rank. With strong 8 rank info it becomes much stronger and the index falls in line with the surrounding doubles.

Most soft doubles are based on dealer bust rate more than making a hand. The ones where neutral cards don't help the dealer make a strong hand are less risky. Your indices should be risk averse. That means playing against a 3 and to a lesser extent a 2 are going to have a much higher indices just based on the fact that the biggest help to the dealer making a strong hand is neutral cards. If you are playing against a dealer 6, two eights or nines bust the dealer. Against a 2 the eight gives the dealer a 10 to take another card in a high count or lands an eight on a 12 for a 20 total. The nine gives the dealer an 11 or a 21 if the expected T pairs with it. The 3 has the same thing with the 7 and 8. Notice that some or all of these cards are neutral cards.
    Last edited by Three; 12-19-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    But not the right one. You’re looking to improve your hand.
    Soft 17, 4 cards retain value, 4 cards improve value, & 5 cards devolve value. Retain or improve is 8/13
    Soft 18, roughly 20% better starting value, 4 cards retain value, 3 cards improve value, and 6 cards devolve value. Retain or improve is 7/13, note better starting value
    Soft 13, 5 cards improve value, 8 cards give you the same shitty value.

Further equate the dealer higher bust rates of 23&4 versus bust rates of 5&6.

There’s more to it. Trust you get the point.
    Maybe you missread the question. I understand why doubling soft 17 and soft 18 is a better choice than doubling soft 13. But i am asking why doubling soft 15 and soft 16 is better than soft 13 if the chances of making a hand are the same. But the earlier comment made sence about hitting again.

Maybe you missread the question. I understand why doubling soft 17 and soft 18 is a better choice than doubling soft 13. But i am asking why doubling soft 15 and soft 16 is better than soft 13 if the chances of making a hand are the same. But the earlier comment made sence about hitting again.

Use the logic in my answer and apply it to your question. You’ll be better off than me telling you, as it will provide a base to figure out other questions.

Did you read post #5? If you didn't understand it say so and I am sure someone can translate it. Apparently I write poorly and some people have trouble understanding what I write. I am sure someone that can communicate better understood the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Did you read post #5? If you didn't understand it say so and I am sure someone can translate it. Apparently I write poorly and some people have trouble understanding what I write. I am sure someone that can communicate better understood the post.
    It makes sence but it doesnt answer my question. Of course a 3 has a lower bust rate than a 6. I am asking why doubling soft 15vs 3 is better than doubling soft 13 vs 3?

For example, to double soft 13 vs 3 would have to be a skyrocket count. But to double soft 15 or 16 vs 3 is around 0. So why is that?
    The above second sentence is not right.
    For S17 shoe game.

Doubling soft 13 vs 3 you need a TC of +7

Doubling soft 15 vs 3 you also need a TC of +7

Doubling soft 16 vs 3 you need a TC of +4

It makes sence but it doesnt answer my question. Of course a 3 has a lower bust rate than a 6. I am asking why doubling soft 15vs 3 is better than doubling soft 13 vs 3?
    Why do you say it is better? It is the hitting EV that is different between the two hands. The doubling EV is the same unless you have additional info to base your decision on like a count.

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/1/

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    The above second sentence is not right.
    For S17 shoe game.

Doubling soft 13 vs 3 you need a TC of +7

Doubling soft 15 vs 3 you also need a TC of +7

Doubling soft 16 vs 3 you need a TC of +4
    How about this. . To double soft 13 vs 4 has to be +3. To double soft 15 vs 4 has to be 0.

How about this. . To double soft 13 vs 4 has to be +3. To double soft 15 vs 4 has to be 0.
    The easiest answer is because that is what the sim says to do. You base your indices on sim data, not logic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast