See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Favorite starting blackjack books?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Knockout Blackjack by Olaf Vancura.

It's a simple but fun and informative read.

It will teach you how to count and teach you a good bit about the history of blackjack and card counting too.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
    Knockout Blackjack

I very stridently disagree. This book will mislead newbies
    into believing that an unbalanced level-one count is worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

I very stridently disagree. This book will mislead newbies
    into believing that an unbalanced level-one count is worthy.
    Why not ? What are the mathematical advantages of a balanced count ? Snyder and Bret Harris do not agree with you.

http://www.blackjackforumonline.com/

https://www.blackjackreview.com/wp/a...s/brh-systems/

And p.s.

The unbalanced count never have error in to deck estimate !
    Last edited by Gramazeka; 11-22-2017 at 02:46 AM.
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

I am going to give the oh-so amiable ZenMaster the benefit of the doubt given his experience and current health problems (I hope you get better!)

I've looked through this stuff myself and it basically seems that overall, a strong balanced count is going to be stronger than a simple balanced count. Significantly more so. I've looked at some sims on CVCX and on the same types of games with the same spread, a strong balanced count such as FELT full (which I believe is basically RPC) will give you about 20% more than a simple level one unbalanced count like KO or REKO. And from what I understand, Zen uses Hi-Opt 2 with a side count of aces which makes that count even stronger. My guesstimate is that the way Zen counts would give you up to 25% more than a simple KO count.

25%.

I understand marginal benefit, diminishing returns and such, but 25% more is a good chunk of cash.

It depends on how you look at it. If you were to earn a million dollars over time counting cards with a more complex count, a simple count would have netted you $250,000 less. To me, that is a good chunk of money and I can understand how a professional would find it foolish to leave such money on the table.

So if you are putting in all this efforts, travelling long distances for good games, and risking large amounts with respect to your bankroll, I could see how a professional would say it is foolish to then default to a simple count. If you are really putting in all this efforts and are really serious about this, then shouldn't you go all the way? It's like a person training to get into major league baseball, doing all the practices and workouts and sacrifices and such, and then getting to the major leagues and using a so-so baseball bat. I can see how a professional would say that doesn't make sense.

Not necessarily my take on things, but I can understand why Zen chides people for taking the this shortcut after they are already taking everything else so seriously.

I understand marginal benefit, diminishing returns and such, but 25% more is a good chunk of cash.

It depends on how you look at it.
    I disagree with you.

+ 25% EV is true- only in computer simulations. In real life i agree with +5 % EV in shoes game. Causes- hands/hour and suboptimal bets.

When playing with tracking, the situation is reversed - simple systems have a larger win rate. Paradox ! ))

Causes- ability to track more play zones.
    Last edited by Gramazeka; 11-21-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

I am talking about computer sims. Not real life taking errors into account.

But I am taking it as a possibility that a professional who does this all day and is hardcore about counting can in fact approximate the mathematical sims. I may or may not be right about this. It depends on the person.

But I would think there are a handful of hardcore people who can approximate the additional 20% return of more complex counts.

But I am talking serious professionals. Like heart surgeon brain surgeon master guitarist or violinist types of professionals.

That is probably not most people.

But professionals who dedicate the majority of their time to this probably can get close to that 20% or so additional return.

But that's not me, not at this point. I'm fine with REKO's returns as I am a recreational counter.

Knockout Blackjack by Olaf Vancura.

It's a simple but fun and informative read.

It will teach you how to count and teach you a good bit about the history of blackjack and card counting too.
    Color of Blackjack by Daniel Dravot is a good supplement to KO and REKO.