Thread: Advice On Two Different Counts of Different Levels At Same Time

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Advice On Two Different Counts of Different Levels At Same Time

Background: Have a friend who uses a level 2 count for a side game. It's worth approximately $50/hour with HIGH variance. At times he would come with me, but lately he's been into other money ventures. Recently I've taken it upon myself to count the main and side game at the same time (was fun and refreshing), but quickly abandoned ship as I felt uncertainty behind my accuracy and couldn't wager my normal amounts even in the main (average worth is at least 2x more).

How do you guys keep track of two different counts of different levels at the same time? Now instead of just one simple number which you know is positive or negative, now I'm doing like N12+5 in my head (negative 12 for main, +5 for side game). The number pairing also becomes a mess, with a level 2 count you can no longer "cross out" hands together. Add that with the main, it's a disaster.

How many people keep two separate counts at the same time? Top 5% of the AP population?
    Is it worth my time investing in this? I assume fatigue would set in and also be a factor.
    Do people even do something as silly as this. Arguments can be made to just play bigger on the main to make life easier, but I'm basically maxed EV at my main store and looking to further increase my edge.

Without saying practice, practice, practice, any other suggestions or tips.
    Or is this just simply the only way.
    Estimated time for you to do two different counts down with 99% accuracy? 1 week? 1 month?
    Last edited by 20 to 1 Spread; 09-17-2016 at 02:35 AM.

To many number counts makes things difficult. Depending on what the sidecount is, think about using a letter count for the side bet.

That being said, you suggest high variance side bet yielding long term $50 per hour is interfering with your ability to maintain your bet levels on blackjack which you say yields you $100 per hour. This sounds like a bankroll constrained by some percentage of Kelly. If you are restricted, put your money on the lower variance higher yield game - this is a no brainer.

Now, if you're not restricted by bankroll, $50 per hour is not chump change and you should practice simultaneous counts at home before you commit serious funds - or - low spread your BJ game while keeping track of the side bet - or - depending on how proprietary your friends count is, train someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    To many number counts makes things difficult. Depending on what the sidecount is, think about using a letter count for the side bet.
    Whoa never would've considered using the alphabet for a sidecount. Running it backwards, still sounds a little clunky though. Let's say "5 minus B" (meaning +5 main - 2 side game) still takes a good 1.5 second to say in the brain. Clunky. Not as fast as, +5. 1/3 of the time IMO. Nonetheless it will get me thinking outside.

As for the side game, it is capped to around $50/hour at my local store due to the maximum bet allowed. I guess bolding it gave it the wrong connotation I was aiming for; not a money or bank roll issue, but rather it'll take a long time to pay out (if running bad). This game will require me to take on two counts at once (never done before) and take a whole time of time to get decent at. So basically, is this new allocated time to improvement, worth $50/hour more given such info, or should I just try to play a bigger game outside my main local, etc. If you get my drift.

CURIOUS QUESTION: if you were to do two side counts, how would it look / sound in text?

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Hiopt2: (2-A) = (+1,+1,+2,+2,+1,+1,0,0,-2,0). A T is cancelled by any 2 cards from the group of ranks 2, 3, 6, or 7. You just need to notice what doesn't cancel. You should also be able to do single card count adjustments.
    Tthree meant to say ...

A TEN is cancelled by any TWO cards from the group of ranks 2, 3, 6, or 7.

~ OR ~

A TEN is cancelled by any ONE card from the group of ranks 4, or 5.

Thanks Flash. I did say 2 cards but I thought the card for card cancellations a bit obvious to need stating. I was not thorough. I fixed it.

Also consider different body parts for different counts. For a R-H player, the left hand can be used for counting between -12 and +12. Count plus values with the thumb moving along the top side of the hand over the 4 nails, the first 4 knuckles, and the second 4 knuckles, and count minus values with the thumb moving along the bottom side of the hand over the first 4 fleshy parts opposite the nails, the next 4 fleshy parts, and the next 4 fleshy parts. Maybe move a chip to one spot or another for counting multiples of +/-12 when you need more range. Fancy footwork is another story ...