See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wong-out backfire

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Wong-out backfire

I generally mix my wong-outs between bathroom breaks, phone calls and quit game. So the other day, I'm playing a DD game and I've already used up my bathroom breaks. The count went to a horrible -8, so I jump up for a phone call and say: "Sorry, I have to take this call.." There was one other player. I was thinking - perfect conditions - let him eat this sh...

So I dally for a couple minutes on a fake call and come back to the table expecting the cut card to be there. Well wouldn't you know that they were so polite that they stopped the game and waited for me to return. I said: Thank you - you didn't have to do that...

I felt like Captain McCluskey in the Godfather when he came back to the hospital to find it was still being guarded by Michael and the Corleone family...

Next time, as you get up, say to the dealer, "That's all right; go ahead."

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Next time, as you get up, say to the dealer, "That's all right; go ahead."

Don
    Exactly! LOL I've learned this lesson the hard way too. There've been times where I Wonged out ("bathroom/phone break") and when I get back, the players are patiently waiting for me to return so they can finish the shoe. *forehead slap*

So now, I always tell the dealer "go ahead without me" as I'm leaving.
    Last edited by Ryemo; 06-18-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Quite often I return to find that the other players had left and the remaining part of shoe is waiting for me

Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    Quite often I return to find that the other players had left and the remaining part of shoe is waiting for me
    That's an easy one to over-come though:

"Oh! Everyone left? Well I don't want to play now. That messed up the flow of the cards"

strangely, this strikes as the corollary of "no good deed goes unpunished". Or perhaps Don can find the more correct analogy of what the heck I'm trying to say
    “One man’s remorse is another man’s reminiscence.” Ogden Nash

Make sure that your phone is on mute so that it doesn't ring while you're taking your call.

I usually pretend to be texting. Gives me a reason to be able to watch the game but not yet able return to the table.

Minus 8 was bad? level 1 ? true count? I had to take these garbage of minus true 10-12 for level 1 garbage . Now I only leave on the terrible ones ! the first 15-16 was mostly tens and aces ! Dang!! i just happened to dropped 15-16 max bets in the last hour . now i got to deal with these garbage DD shoes back to back ( similar level of undesirability) .
    Last edited by stopgambling; 06-18-2016 at 08:03 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    "Make sure that your phone is on mute so that it doesn't ring while you're taking your call."

I'll say! But here's something that actually happened to me and was really embarrassing. I'm playing in the HL room at Caesars A.C. Horrible count develops, so I step away for a (phony) phone break. When I step back, pit boss asks me: "What carrier do you have for your phone?" I say "Verizon." He says, "That's amazing. Service in this pit is completely dead. I've never known anyone's cell phone to ever work in here."

Oops! :-)

Don

"Make sure that your phone is on mute so that it doesn't ring while you're taking your call."

I'll say! But here's something that actually happened to me and was really embarrassing. I'm playing in the HL room at Caesars A.C. Horrible count develops, so I step away for a (phony) phone break. When I step back, pit boss asks me: "What carrier do you have for your phone?" I say "Verizon." He says, "That's amazing. Service in this pit is completely dead. I've never known anyone's cell phone to ever work in here."

Oops! :-)

Don
    The pit boss knew you are counting. He was sarcastic.

"The pit boss knew you were counting. He was sarcastic."

No, not at all. I played there for years thereafter.

Don

Yes, the variance is high but I play through the bad counts on a DD game. Interestingly, I do better in the super high negative counts than in the negative counts between -1 and -4. In any case, if surveillance can track when you raise your bet, why would they not see how your breaks conveniently come at negative counts?

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    "That's amazing. Service in this pit is completely dead. I've never known anyone's cell phone to ever work in here."
    "I work for the government. My phone has satellite backup when out of range of cellular coverage"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast