Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Continuing to lose and probabilities

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Any and any.
    Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Bodarc View Post
    I have come to the conclusion from all the talk everyone on here has at least 140 IQ. I feel neglected with my 85.
    I must be in the minority as I have never felt compelled to have my IQ measured. I just don't see a reason for knowing my IQ other than as a dick measuring contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougfan View Post
    I have never felt compelled to have my IQ measured.
    Ditto Cougfan
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Cougfan View Post
    I must be in the minority as I have never felt compelled to have my IQ measured. I just don't see a reason for knowing my IQ other than as a dick measuring contest.
    Is there a conversion tool to measure the two?

I wonder which of the two has the most fun?
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Is there a conversion tool to measure the two?
    I think there might be.

There is one activity ("scoring" with a sex partner) where intelligence and penis size are both factors in determining success. Other factors are also at play here, namely physical attractiveness, humor, reputation, kindness, power, and income level to name a few. Some of these are correlated with each other which complicates things a bit. But, if one could determine the appropriate weighting for all of these factors, then it would be possible to isolate just the 2 variables of intelligence and penis size and calculate the rough equivalency / conversion between the two for this one desired objective.

Of course, this is all venturing a bit off topic. That said, if MM really believes that he is more likely to receive an ace than a ten, on average, when he doubles down on an 11, any further discussion with him about BJ is pretty pointless.

Banned or Suspended

As a (retired) psychologist, I assure you that I.Q. is a metric
    that can be meaningful ONLY when applied to specific issues.

All you need to know is this:

Only individually (professionally) administered I.Q. trusts are valid;
    and only those done with the Wechsler Scales or the Stanford-Binet.

A psychometric Assessment takes several hours to complete.

The Standard Deviation is 15.

Enough Said.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    As long as we are off topic. This difference in your analogy (very interesting) is that in blackjack and life we find ourselves in competitive situations of winning and losing. Actually, in finding a life partner you should be looking for the tie. We say "for better or for worse" which according to divorce rate stats, these words are bunch of crap (overall). When neither is "No better or No worse" THAT is the perfect match.
    A life partner is not about winning or losing, nor is it about achieving a tie. It's about integrity, love, respect and mutual support - being in each other's corner. I've known my wife since she was 12 (I was 13). We never went out till we were a tad older. She lived down the block, our brothers were friends - our parents occasionally went out together. I always liked her. She absolutely reeks of goodness and decency - her love for her children and grandchildren absolutely unconditional. I could have lost her last week - her car was tboned by someone running a red light. Her car, demolished, but fortunately missed a concrete pillar - her injuries remarkably minor.

Just being in the same house, even in different rooms, is a comfort. Home is a familiar, friendly place filled with memories of our family. In a couple of weeks will be our 39th anniversary.

No question in my mind that I got the best of this deal. She has stood by me. Moses, you give more than 50% when you can. She has stood by me through several health issues - when times were tough financially, and never questioned her lot.

The SCORE for me on this deal is around 200 or so - maybe more.

Ok, I only read about the first three pages. I am still a relatively new player but after playing something on the order of 200k hands on CV, then a couple of months with a small ramp, then moving to a medium ramp and finally at my full ramp here are some impressions vs. the absolute crap I'm reading Mickey spout.

I've played 30 sessions at full ramp. I have a few sessions with over a 1k loss but I am at $5500 positive in these sessions in one month. I'm at about 89 bucks an hour for about 61 hours of play.

1) Nobody can avoid losses its a very long term picture and the results of your small number of sessions are meaningless in my limited experience. I would have had a couple of more losses over 1k, but stayed and played a marathon to come back. This was ill advised on my part as I think I probably drew unwanted attention by doing so.

2) Maybe you should apply your 140 IQ to other endeavors with less variability. It seems to me if you have that kind of mental capacity you would have realized that swings of the size you are describing are going to happen prior to starting out and would have been mentally and financially prepared for that possibility. I wouldn't be surprised if I lost 10k next month or took losses for a couple of months. It happens and it can happen over an extended period of time to the best players, who are playing perfect or near perfect games.

3) Last, I've been following this forum for a good couple of years. I don't care how high this IQ number you seem to be touting is (although I'd wonder how you would prove this number) experienced players who have demonstrated long term success and who are gracious enough to give you the benefit of their experience should probably be listened to not told to shut up. I think your own ego is your largest stumbling block to success. You wouldn't be asking "Am I doing something wrong" if you were succeeding. Why not listen to the answers you are asking for rather than being offended.
    Oneoff

I'm not a bad player... I just play cover on every hand!

Freightman. You hit the jackpot. Thank god your wife will be ok. Best wishes for her speedy recovery.
    Oneoff

Quote Originally Posted by Oneoffthecount View Post
    Freightman. You hit the jackpot. Thank god your wife will be ok. Best wishes for her speedy recovery.
    Thanks
    I'm just getting over my own tough spell- was in hospital for a bowel obstruction, released last week and readmitted the following day. I'm home now - actually did about an hours worth of work today. My wife is going to physio for some shoulder problems, and we pick up her new car tomorrow - so hopefully, things will be getting back to normal in my house.

If I'm not to tired this evening, one of my boys and I will be seeing "Creed" this evening. We both seem to be long term Rocky fans.

You can recover together. Best wishes for both of you.

I am a big Rocky fan too. I have all five movies in a cd collection and watch 1 and II at least twice a year.
    Oneoff

Banned or Suspended

I saw the new Rocky movie ~ "CREED"

It is certainly far better than most of the

preceding films of the "Rocky" franchise.
    Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 12-11-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast