See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insuring a stiff hand

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJer View Post
    BTW I read in Beyond Counting: Exhibit CAA that insuring a pat hand produces more variance and, I think, loses more in than insuring a stiff hand.
    This makes no sense. Of course you never said what more variance is compared to. Insurance is a separate bet and if the cards on the table are counted already they should have the same insurance expectation for the same true count.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    This makes no sense. Of course you never said what more variance is compared to. Insurance is a separate bet and if the cards on the table are counted already they should have the same insurance expectation for the same true count.
    "So, while the insurance bet is a "side bet," its expectation changes conditional on what you hold.
    When you hold two Tens, the insurance bet is the most costly, and so "advanced" books recommend that,
    contrary to folk wisdom, the worst time to buy insurance is when you hold a strong hand."

However if you can get a copy of BC: Ex.CAA it's on page 9.
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

if you want to gain the attention of surveillance, then go ahead and "hover" over your bet...rats get arrested for "capping" bets all the time, and this is surely what this will look like...as for 'slowing the game'...again, back of napkin 100 hand/hr x 50% of time positive count (just an estimate) x 40% win rate (again,just an est for calc purposes and loses result in only, perhaps a sec to rack the chips and a push doesn't take any extra time)...so where is that 100 hands/hr x 50% w/ positive count x 40% win rate = 20 hands/hr where I "slow the game" by, say, 3 extra seconds for any half-competent dealer to break down....20 x 3 sec = 60 secs/hr....1 min per hour...hmmmmm....think i can afford that extra time
    Last edited by Sharky; 06-30-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    I rarely bet more than one color as it slows the game down.
    I agree with this. Game speed is more important than assuming a dealer will not follow procedure. If you are alert, the dealer cannot bypass you anyway. If so nervous on max bets, have half of your max bet in hand and get ready to fling it out there when you see a dealer's Ace.

I take it a step further and bet only in amounts for which blackjacks are easily payable for the dealer -- minimum bet of $25 is the only exception; otherwise, I bet $50, $100, then amounts in even $100's up to my max bet of $1,000. I bet in ranges, and don't bother with bets like $75, $150, $250, etc.
    Opinions and Commentary on the Gaming Industry: The Bear Growls

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Variance, as measured by your total bankroll, will be lowered by insuring strong hands.
    The Cash Cow.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    if you want to gain the attention of surveillance, then go ahead and "hover" over your bet...rats get arrested for "capping" bets all the time, and this is surely what this will look like...
    You are thoroughly mistaken.

Some miscreant surreptitiously "
    capping" their bet does it sneakily / as quickly as he can manage.
    "Hovering" is the opposite, taking place in slow motion, with the purpose of being highly visible.
    It is NEVER considered suspicious, but would possibly be seen as indecisiveness or drunkenness.

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    Variance, as measured by your total bankroll, will be lowered by insuring strong hands.
    That was my thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJer View Post
    When you hold two Tens, the insurance bet is the most costly, and so "advanced" books recommend that,
    contrary to folk wisdom, the worst time to buy insurance is when you hold a strong hand."
    This would be true if you were not counting but at the same count including the cards seen on the table it has exactly the same win/loss rate. Perhaps the comment was directed at non-counters or those that are too slow to make decisions based on the current count and use the count before the round was dealt to make decisions. Those people need to practice more. Rarely is the count close enough to an index barrier to have to do the math but when it is you want to use the current count not the count before the round was dealt.

I don't care who says otherwise. If they meant what you seem to want us to believe they meant they are wrong.

of course, you are not allowed to touch your bet once the cards are dealt (which is why barking loudly, so other players also hear, "how much do i have here" works so well for ins)

anyways, placing your hand over the circle will surely get one's attention perusing monitors....there is no good reason...plenty of room to give signals behind the circle

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    Last night - had a 16 vs. dealer Ace. Count was high and max bet was out. I was in a fairly sweaty pit - the only DD game in action and one other plop playing with me. Dealer was moving fast bypassing my hand assuming I wouldn't be interested in insurance. I froze/chickened out on taking the insurance. Of course I should have - cost me my max bet.

How do you handle this????
    Dealers are required to both verbally and visually(Palm up across the layout for opening, palm down for closing) offer insurance. It this did not take place it would have been well within your right to open a dispute with the supervisor.

This is a very common situation that is not likely to set off any red flags.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12