See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here use Uston APC?

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Does anyone here use Uston APC?

If so, how fast can you count down a complete single deck using this counting method?

I used it in the early/mid 80's while playing single & double deck, and was at 22 seconds.

Banned or Suspended

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Why would anyone use an obsolete count? Hi-Lo or Halves is all you need regardless of what game you play or how many decks you play. Halves is just as good as even HiOpt II in single and double deck. Don't let the ace side counting theorists confuse you.

I have used a derivative of UAPC, the Victor APC found on Arnold Snyder's website.

It's very easy to track 2,3,4,6 & 7 = +2; 5s = +3; 9s = -1; 10s = -3; and Aces unreckoned (0).

BC = 0.9177 (without Ace side count), PE = 0.6789, and IC = 0.8876.

Can be counted in your sleep (well nearly).

Pales in comparison to what Tarzan and Tthree use, but then again, nearly (if not) all linear counting systems do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rmwlaw View Post
    I have used a derivative of UAPC, the Victor APC found on Arnold Snyder's website.

It's very easy to track 2,3,4,6 & 7 = +2; 5s = +3; 9s = -1; 10s = -3; and Aces unreckoned (0).

BC = 0.9177 (without Ace side count), PE = 0.6789, and IC = 0.8876.

Can be counted in your sleep (well nearly).

Pales in comparison to what Tarzan and Tthree use, but then again, nearly (if not) all linear counting systems do!!!
    Uston may have designed it but he used RPC. I guess that says something.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMac View Post
    I used it in the early/mid 80's while playing single & double deck, and was at 22 seconds.
    22 seconds seems fairly quick. After several hours with working with the RC I have been able to do it in under 30 seconds but am still too slow. How long did it take you to be able to count down the deck in 22 sec?

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by ZenKinG View Post
    Why would anyone use an obsolete count? Hi-Lo or Halves is all you need regardless of what game you play or how many decks you play. Halves is just as good as even HiOpt II in single and double deck. Don't let the ace side counting theorists confuse you.
    Haha, an obsolete count? I can make any count obsolete in a game of Blackjack if I deal to you. Hi-Lo count does not present enough of a challenge at this time.

Banned or Suspended

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. The problem perhaps some don't realize is jumping from Hi-lo to Halves is difficult. The brain is forced to calculate 3 half point measures on one side, including the 1.5 value on the 5 and just 1 half point measure on the other side. Something about the imbalance of the halves forces a skipping when initially making the transition of the two counts. It was literally giving me headaches. It appears most give up and go back to Hi lo.

For what it's worth, I found a median solution. Move the 1/2 point on the 5 to the 7. You're actually gaining a little PE and not sacrificing much BC. Now with just a 1/2 point on each side it's far less taxing on the brain. From that, I didn't need to, but choose to take the step back up to Wong Halves. And no more headaches.
    I never understood why people think halves is so hard. Some say because there's just not that many cancellations. Maybe its easy for me because I dont really cancel, i tend to do both, ill cancel but also count one by one depending on what i see at first glance. I don't know but the .5 and the 1.5 and -.5 really has no affect on me, and im not saying that because i think im smarter than anyone here, it's just weird why I dont find it one bit harder. To me it's basically hi-lo with a couple .5s here and there, what's so hard about it? It's not like the 10s and Aces are a decimal, they are full numbers, in this case -1. I think I know what you mean about the .5 on both sides, but I never looked at it like that. I guess the reason why I never looked at it like that is because I knew the 2 and the 7 are very unpredictable cards and not warranted a full +1 so for me it was easy to picture them being only .5.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. The problem perhaps some don't realize is jumping from Hi-lo to Halves is difficult. .
    Going from a level 1 count to a level 3 count is a bit difficult but since I've been working a bit with UAPC RC I can still count down a deck using Hi-Lo, REKO, or Red 7 right afterwards and can then go right back into UAPC single deck count down without any problems. In fact after doing drills with UAPC RC it seems like I can count down the deck for level 1 counts even faster when I transition to a different counting technique to ensure that I still got it. 11- 14 seconds average for level 1, 30-45 sec for UAPC after several accumulated hours of practice.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 05-26-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    Haha, an obsolete count? I can make any count obsolete in a game of Blackjack if I deal to you. Hi-Lo count does not present enough of a challenge at this time.
    You got a lot to learn then. Who cares about the count. It seems you were just like me when I used to care so much about the count when I first started out. Not enough of a challenge? Who cares about the challenge, choice of count makes such a miniscule difference, go focus on more important things. If you want a better 'challenge' go learn halves, best count in my opinion to alternate between pitch and shoe especially if your previous count was Hi-Lo as it would be a natural step upward and almost all the indices are exactly the same.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by ZenKinG View Post
    You got a lot to learn then. Who cares about the count. It seems you were just like me when I used to care so much about the count when I first started out. Not enough of a challenge? Who cares about the challenge, choice of count makes such a miniscule difference, go focus on more important things. If you want a better 'challenge' go learn halves, best count in my opinion to alternate between pitch and shoe especially if your previous count was Hi-Lo as it would be a natural step upward and almost all the indices are exactly the same.
    That's right, not enough of a challenge. No, I'm not like you when you first started out. As I clearly remember you abandoned Halves for Hi-Lo and then went running back to using Halves correct?

"Uston may have designed it but he used RPC. I guess that says something."

To clarify, he used the Advanced Revere Point Count (ARPC), not the level-2 RPC.

Don

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    That's right, not enough of a challenge. No, I'm not like you when you first started out. As I clearly remember you abandoned Halves for Hi-Lo and then went running back to using Halves correct?
    Wrong. I went from Hi-Lo, to Zen, to Halves, back to Hi-Lo, and now at Halves for LIFE.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast