See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: question for blitzk or kj

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    One of the reasons that I never pursued poker as a supplemental option to my fulltime blackjack play is that in poker you are taking directly from other players, which I am not all that comfortable with.
    Same here. I could play all day against grey haired filled tables that will fold at any raise. It is easy money but I am not sure they can really afford to have a sharp at their table.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    One of the reasons that I never pursued poker as a supplemental option to my fulltime blackjack play is that in poker you are taking directly from other players, which I am not all that comfortable with.

I guess you can make that same argument for poker as well. The bad players would still be losing, they just would be losing to someone else. It's something to think about, but for me, the direct nature of taking from someone else, would still be an issue if it was someone I could see that really couldn't afford it. That's just me.
    I am very comfortable taking money from the other players. This is the way I look at it, their either going to take my money or I'm going to take theirs. If they are willing to belly up to the table then it's fair game. I don't look at it as, "they cannot afford it."

The last time I was in the bigger venue playing poker I tried to get on a 1-3 NL table, since all 1-3 tables were filled up I told them to put me on 2-5 NL because I didn't want to wait and wanted the first available seating, it was a packed Friday night. I knew I was going to sit short at this table but I didn't care because I know without a doubt that I'm going to win sooner or later. The average chip stack was about $1500-$1800 and I just cash in for $300. Ironically the first hand I get dealt to me was KJ offsuit and I won a nice pot with that hand. After about 3-4 hours I managed to slightly more than double up. Then the host moved me to the main 2-5 NL table. There I encountered an asshole (this older guy) who kept putting me under the gun with a straddle every damn hand. I knew what he was doing but it wasn't working. I have this guys face burnt into my head. The next time I get on table with him, or I sit short at a table and someone keeps putting me under the gun I'm going to sling some of the nastiest insults that I can possibly think of towards that player and I'll stop just short of getting thrown out of the game. Fighting words mixed in with insults! I want to do it to make his blood pressure raise, I want to see him turn beet red in the face, I have to do it to get under their skin if they don't want to play nice! And if any players want to be a hero and come to the rescue then I'll start insulting them as well, including the dealer.

That's why I don't mind taking their money.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 02-18-2015 at 10:47 AM.

I dont know anything about poker , Cant comprehend what you just said ,

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    I am very comfortable taking money from the other players. This is the way I look at it, their either going to take my money or I'm going to take theirs. If they are willing to belly up to the table then it's fair game. I don't look at it as, "they cannot afford it."

The last time I was in the bigger venue playing poker I tried to get on a 1-3 NL table, since all 1-3 tables were filled up I told them to put me on 2-5 NL because I didn't want to wait and wanted the first available seating, it was a packed Friday night. I knew I was going to sit short at this table but I didn't care because I know without a doubt that I'm going to win sooner or later. The average chip stack was about $1500-$1800 and I just cash in for $300. Ironically the first hand I get dealt to me was KJ offsuit and I won a nice pot with that hand. After about 3-4 hours I managed to slightly more than double up. Then the host moved me to the main 2-5 NL table. There I encountered an asshole (this older guy) who kept putting me under the gun with a straddle every damn hand. I knew what he was doing but it wasn't working. I have this guys face burnt into my head. The next time I get on table with him, or I sit short at a table and someone keeps putting me under the gun I'm going to sling some of the nastiest insults that I can possibly think of towards that player and I'll stop just short of getting thrown out of the game. Fighting words mixed in with insults! I want to do it to make his blood pressure raise, I want to see him turn beet red in the face, I have to do it to get under their skin if they don't want to play nice! And if any players want to be a hero and come to the rescue then I'll start insulting them as well, including the dealer.

Why would you get mad about someone straddling? They're literally throwing dead money into the pot.
    The Cash Cow.

Banned or Suspended

The older guy more than likely bought into the game for a bigger amount than I did so he had a chip advantage over me. He realized I was sitting short when I got moved to the main 2-5 No Limit table (regarding the size of my chip stack). So knowing that the asshole kept straddling which means the action is going to start to the left of the person putting up the straddle. He was putting me "under the gun" which means he was making me first to act pre flop. In my eyes that's putting me at a disadvantage and I don't appreciate that. Sitting short I had to pick and choose my battles wisely because I am not just looking to pay anyone off. He didn't want me grinding on the table because he probably knew that I was going to kick his ass and take his money sooner or later.

There is more money on the table in a $2-5 No limit game compared to $1-3 or $1-2 no limit.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 02-18-2015 at 12:46 PM.

The older guy more than likely bought into the game for a bigger amount than I did so he had a chip advantage over me. He realized I was sitting short when I got moved to the main 2-5 No Limit table (regarding the size of my chip stack). So knowing that the asshole kept straddling which is basically buying the dealer button to put me "under the gun" which means he was making me first to act which didn't allow me to have a positional advantage. He was putting me at a positional disadvantage because I was sitting short. He didn't want me grinding on the table because he probably knew that I was going to kick his ass and take his money sooner or later.

There is more money on the table in a $2-5 No limit game compared to $1-3 or $1-2 no limit.
    I'm confused. Was this a late position straddle, and you were therefore forced to act first? I've never heard of that happening.
    The Cash Cow.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    Why would you get mad about someone straddling? They're literally throwing dead money into the pot.
    Because he was doing it every hand, he was trying to get me off the table. I didn't get upset until I left the table, I don't want him knowing that it's pissing me off. I don't show emotions at the table such as anger. But that is going to change the next time it happens. I'm going to turn the poker game into something they don't want it to turn into and in the process I hope I piss everyone off at the table. By doing that it may be a catalyst for my opponents to make mistakes because of the anger that will be building up inside of them.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    I'm confused. Was this a late position straddle, and you were therefore forced to act first? I've never heard of that happening.
    He was putting me under the gun every chance he got. I don't like being put "under the gun." But I did enjoy doubling up through those $2-5 NL jackasses.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 02-18-2015 at 12:29 PM.

I don't think you should be playing poker if you want the players to be nice to you.

The older guy more than likely bought into the game for a bigger amount than I did so he had a chip advantage over me. He realized I was sitting short when I got moved to the main 2-5 No Limit table (regarding the size of my chip stack)
    If you want to protect your BR in NL buy in for the most you want to risk on one round. If the older guy knows it puts you off your game he will continue to do it. If he thinks you are happy he is doing it he will stop unless he is targeting someone else at the table. Poker is mostly about mind games in a live game. You better be good at them if you want to win. You play the other players more than you play your cards.

The guy is literally throwing dead money into the pot. I don't see any reason to be upset. Essentially, you get to play a 1-3-6 blind game, but you don't have to post the $6 big blind.
    The Cash Cow.

Banned or Suspended

I don't enjoy being put under the gun constantly pre-flop in a cash game moo. That does upset me. Especially being short stacked even though I doubled up. Sitting short stacked I have to protect my bankroll because it can all disappear on any one hand, even though I am looking to get all of my money in the pot at an opportune time. I feel like I had to play a lot more disciplined than my opponents without being dubbed a calling station on the table just giving away my bankroll, that's not me. Now if I would have sat down with $1500-$2000 I would have played more aggressively, but I'm still not looking to pay anyone off.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 02-19-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    If you want to protect your BR in NL buy in for the most you want to risk on one round. If the older guy knows it puts you off your game he will continue to do it. If he thinks you are happy he is doing it he will stop unless he is targeting someone else at the table. Poker is mostly about mind games in a live game. You better be good at them if you want to win. You play the other players more than you play your cards.
    There's a number of reason he may have been putting up the straddle. Maybe he was just trying to generate some action and a bigger pot or as you said he was targeting another player. I don't know how he was playing before I came to the table but nevertheless it still upset me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123