See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The definition of a bankroll...

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Exoter175 View Post
    Personally, I'm starting to find that Bankroll is farrrrrrr less important than "triproll". It seems as if nobody really has a solid answer for how much you take other than "A whole bunch", so I started analyzing my player logs that I keep after each session, and I've come to the conclusion that "A whole bunch" is about as accurate as it gets. Generally though, my formula breaks down to something like this. HPH x AVbet X HP X 1/10th x 3 = triproll. At first I was using it without the last X3 there, but found that I couldn't accomodate larger spreads, though rare, and found that I'd fall short of "expected bet" money for the count, so I decided to triple the formula to ensure that I'd have enough.

As arbitrary as that is, I've found that its a comfortable amount to carry with me and not be in "fear", while it is still large enough to accommodate the wildest of swings given my average bet and spread.
    Most decent books talk about some way to quantify " a whole bunch", for the most descriptive (that i've found) bja3 has half of a chapter dedicated to it.
    Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don't know.

I think a person is usually making a trip for a certain amount of time, either 4 hours, 1 day or 8 days. I am talking about an individual and not a team. As such, that person only needs enough funds to be assured his trip bank will not be depleted before the trip is over. If you look at the rules of your game, your spread etc etc and convert your STD DEV to the number of hours you plan to play on the trip, 3 STD DEV should cover you 99% of the time. If you want to make sure you never run out of money on the trip, take 4 STD DEV. I do not look at a TOTAL bankroll I have to have before I can ever play a hand. I look at each session I am going to play and make sure I have enough funds to last that trip. Now if you are in such a position that if you lose on your trip and have no way to replenish your bankroll, you don't have enough capital to be "investing in blackjack" right now, but if you do have more capital or a way to replenish your bankroll, you only need enough capital to sustain you for this one trip.

I know this isn't the conventional way to look at things and anyone who wants to can set me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by forecast rain View Post
    I used CVCX to determine my trip roll. Whatever the 3SD loss range is for an equivalent hour sessions, I take 2 hours worth.

For example, the 3SD range is +$5000/-$4500. I will take atleast $9000 because my sessions usually last between 30min and short of 2 hours.
    I feel like, based on your average bet and spread, that you might eventually risk not bringing enough with you, unless you're sticking to a TC2 backcounting regimen, strictly based on your time equivalent there. Now, 9 grand is something I'd personally be uncomfortable with, but I'm still a red chipper, but bringing only two hours worth, in my mind, can cut a win very short if you find yourself in a big count.

Quote Originally Posted by muckz View Post
    Most decent books talk about some way to quantify " a whole bunch", for the most descriptive (that i've found) bja3 has half of a chapter dedicated to it.
    That chapter, for the most part, is in large part what drew me to create a formula that was easy to do "mental math" on for when I"m on the go.

I feel like, based on your average bet and spread, that you might eventually risk not bringing enough with you, unless you're sticking to a TC2 backcounting regimen, strictly based on your time equivalent there. Now, 9 grand is something I'd personally be uncomfortable with, but I'm still a red chipper, but bringing only two hours worth, in my mind, can cut a win very short if you find yourself in a big count.
    Ultimately, there will be times when the cards get the best of you. I personally will not begin any shoe if I don't have the money to make correct wagers per my strategy.

Once every 370 sessions or so, I believe.

As KJ pointed out there are different definitions or iterputations of Bankroll. The indivdual makes the call based upon his/her's own financial status. Trip Bankroll is a fraction of Bankroll. Some Ap's use fractional Kelly and resizing as they log win or losses. My personnal approach is somewhat different than other AP's. Longevity is a high priority for me. Therefore, I take enough cash to cover me for playing out a max of 4 shoes win or lose I leave. The amount of cash I bring is based upon which game I'm playing that particular session. ( 2 Deck or 6 Deck ). I take into consideration game rules, penetration, and number of players that I will play with during this session. This information will give me True Count Distribution Percentages. I calculate how many hands I will see, I know my bet spread range, and how much I will be putting into action.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke8 View Post
    As KJ pointed out there are different definitions or iterputations of Bankroll. The indivdual makes the call based upon his/her's own financial status.
    Yep, there is one high end, very successful, longterm AP, who goes by the handle Kim Lee (who I don't believe has participated on this site) that believes a players bankroll is his net worth. He includes everything including real estate. I would never be able to wrap my head around that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by forecast rain View Post
    Ultimately, there will be times when the cards get the best of you. I personally will not begin any shoe if I don't have the money to make correct wagers per my strategy.
    I don't make a trip or session unless I've got what I feel is enough to cover its entirety, and then about 2-3 times that amount (thus the x3 in that formula) as I don't ever want to find myself in that situation again where I didn't bring "enough" to take advantage of the count, despite what CV will say. Its a great benchmark and 99.9% of the time it holds close to the simulation, but if you find yourself in my position, like today, where you see a count that happens only once in a career (We're talking TC10 for what felt like 15 hands, but not really) you really need to bring a little extra.

What started as a simple 145 dollar buy in today, ended up with me leaving +~$1,900 thanks to mythical count of epic proportions, and for once I was able to absolutely take advantage of the count knowing I had the triproll to support every inch of it. And man oh man did it feel GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker21 View Post
    Once every 370 sessions or so, I believe.
    As KJ and others will tell you, it only takes missing that one time to set you in the ways of bringing much, much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke8 View Post
    As KJ pointed out there are different definitions or iterputations of Bankroll. The indivdual makes the call based upon his/her's own financial status. Trip Bankroll is a fraction of Bankroll. Some Ap's use fractional Kelly and resizing as they log win or losses. My personnal approach is somewhat different than other AP's. Longevity is a high priority for me. Therefore, I take enough cash to cover me for playing out a max of 4 shoes win or lose I leave. The amount of cash I bring is based upon which game I'm playing that particular session. ( 2 Deck or 6 Deck ). I take into consideration game rules, penetration, and number of players that I will play with during this session. This information will give me True Count Distribution Percentages. I calculate how many hands I will see, I know my bet spread range, and how much I will be putting into action.
    Which is smart, but even then I'd probably bring at least 50% more to the trip "just in case".

Def. of a BR

Recently I heard an interview with Arnold Snyder...he said "A bankroll is how much money you would be okay with losing."

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    In that case, my bankroll is zero!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by hitA7 View Post
    Recently I heard an interview with Arnold Snyder...he said "A bankroll is how much money you would be okay with losing."
    If you have $10K you cal your BR but will quit after losing $5K, then your BR is really $5K and all your RoR and money management calculations should use $5K as your BR. Ruin is losing $5K not $10K.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    Yep, there is one high end, very successful, longterm AP, who goes by the handle Kim Lee (who I don't believe has participated on this site) that believes a players bankroll is his net worth. He includes everything including real estate. I would never be able to wrap my head around that idea.
    I wonder if Mr. Lee is willing to put the titles to his house and car on the felt if it calls for, wouldn't ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by hitA7 View Post
    That's absolutely correct! The money I have as my bankroll has already been written off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123