See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: What it would take to go full time

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneoffthecount View Post
    KJ-

Actually your answer was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know whether my experience in simulation of about 3 months of play with little or no earnings was refelective of what a real and skilled AP player might see and the answer is yes. When ou are new, you don't know how much of a result is due to extremely bad variance over the short term versus bad or inexperienced play. Then you wonder how bad your experience was versus what would be considered the normal course of business for an experienced player. If a person goes in with expectation of multiple month losses they tend to be less likely to get in over their head and/or plan for it. If a person goes in thinking yes there are ups and downs but doesn't understand how up or how down or how long you might be down, I think they are likely to become a statistic themselves. See the post re- my second bankroll has been wipe out. Reading these posts might keep someone from being in the position of that poster, more importantly that someone might be me!!

KJ, Shoefly, Zerg, TThree thanks for really valuable answers. Ouchez, If I could find a woman who met your criteria, she'd probably be about as attractive as last years pair of tennis shoes and I'd rather make a living the old fashioned way!!
    Your thoughts concerning being as prepared as possible for any and all possible situations is a good way of thinking, however based on my own experience I gotta warn you there is a big difference in thinking you are prepared for a long losing and/or non-winning stretch and the experience of actually going through them. Losing day after day, week after week, month after month, can really play with your mind. It will make you question everything you know or think you know to be true. These are the times you will discover if you really have the discipline necessary to play the game. And I was rather 'lucky' in the respect that both my prolonged non-winning periods came on the heals of extreme positive result periods, which gave me even more of a cushion to work with.

I don't like to encourage people to take this 'full-time' player route or discourage them if they are considering it. Just share some of my experiences to hopefully help and provide some insight they might not otherwise consider. In the end they should make whatever decision is best for their situation and circumstances. But I must say, your plan to jump from simulation play into full-time play is ill advised. That's like jumping several levels at once. Why not begin actual play on a part-time basis? Build your bankroll and experience at the same time. A part-time career, supplementing your income can ease the stress of these long non-winning periods as well, because you aren't putting all your eggs in one basket.
    Last edited by KJ; 03-12-2012 at 08:56 AM.