Quote Originally Posted by Dbs6582 View Post
RCJH, I went back and read your post since there were several things that didn’t sound right. This sentence in particular isn’t correct. This is a common misconception with newbees...that knowing more index numbers gets you a lot. Please go back and read the chapter on the Illustrious 18 in BJA3. It’s a chapter I’ve read several times. The importance of this finding cannot be overstated.
DS, it helps to do some research to confirm what you think you read. Using the CVCX tool in the BJ resources toolbar:

Hilo 6 deck/1 cut off S17, DAS, LS play-all $100K BR:

Hilo I18/F4 16 to 1 optimal spread:
EV $568.13/100 rounds, RoR 13.5%, n0 17592

Hilo full 14 to 1 optimal spread:
EV $591.64/100 rounds, RoR 13.2%, n0 16750

For Hilo the 14:1 optimal spread with full indices outperforms the 16:1 I18/F4 for EV even with giving up some potential EV gain to a lower RoR.

Many have gotten misconceptions about the I18/F4 being all you need from Don's book. Don just meant to show you the most important indices to start the index learning process with. Not where to end learning indices. If anyone got the idea that the I18/F4 is the ending point for indices from Don's book, they didn't understand what they read no matter how many times they read it. Don has stated this on this site fairly recently. Unfortunately some have read too much into what Don wrote on the I18/F4 that simply isn't there.