Thread: no big deal

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

no big deal

hey Norm, thought you might be interested to see this image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Shameful. They should be sued out of existence.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Shameful. They should be sued out of existence.
    it never used to happen until today when i let avast update it's self.

Blog Entries

It’s part of a massive extortion scam invented by Microsoft that makes it difficult for small software companies. I have to pay an annual extortion fee to avoid my software from being labeled dangerous. My certificate recently expired and I haven’t got ‘round to paying this year’s extortion. Probably won’t, as MS has made it even worse with Win7. With Win7, even if you pay the extortion, they still make it difficult to install your software if you are not a large company. With IE, you have to click hidden, confusing options bypassing scary warnings to install software from a small company.

They don't dare call it malware. Instead they use weasel words like “We don’t have enough evidence, but it could be dangerous.” In other words, they have zero evidence.
    Last edited by Norm; 06-25-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

You could always release your own OS and put them out of business!

It’s part of a massive extortion scam invented by Microsoft that makes it difficult for small software companies. I have to pay an annual extortion fee to avoid my software from being labeled dangerous. My certificate recently expired and I haven’t got ‘round to paying this year’s extortion. Probably won’t, as MS has made it even worse with Win7. With Win7, even if you pay the extortion, they still make it difficult to install your software if you are not a large company. With IE, you have to click hidden, confusing options bypassing scary warnings to install software from a small company.

They don't dare call it malware. Instead they use weasel words like “We don’t have enough evidence, but it could be dangerous.” In other words, they have zero evidence.
    Is it really Microsoft that profits from these certification programs? Which company's name is on the bill demanding your money for white-listing 'certification'?

Norm, I am on your side. Given Microsoft's dominant position in the O.S market (for now) its just "whatcha gonna do 'bout it then, huh?".

Blog Entries

More subtle. MS gets no income from the certificates. They just get a larger market share by scaring people away from buying from small companies.

Companies include: VeriSign, DigiCert, TC TrustCenter, COMODO, GoDaddy and GlobalSign.

Banned or Suspended

There is another deal going on that is so threatening I dare not mention it here, and it has to do with a well known "networks-firewall company"

Ouchez

Please Clarify

More subtle. MS gets no income from the certificates. They just get a larger market share by scaring people away from buying from small companies.

Companies include: VeriSign, DigiCert, TC TrustCenter, COMODO, GoDaddy and GlobalSign.

Please clarify how the certificate programs work and how much companies like VeriSign charge to have the certificate?

Do the antivirus companies like Norton and Avast also charge for these certificates?

Microsoft and Intel have had to pay some heavy fines for paying "kick-backs" to companies like HP and DELL in return for giving preference to exclusively use their software and hardware.

Blog Entries

Verisign charges $500 for a one-year code-signing certificate. $1,300 for three years. There are some ways to get discounts. Norton sells Verisign certificates. Don't know anything about Avast. If you don't have one, IE gives you multiple warnings that you may be installing malware, as do some anti-virus programs. Most small software companies don't bother. In addition to the cost, the implementation is a pain. But what's worse is that IE is now giving warnings even if you do have a certificate if your company is small. That is, if the number of downloads is below a threshold, it warns the user. I don't know what the threshold is. But, obviously more people download MS Office than BJ software from an individual.

Verisign charges $500 for a one-year code-signing certificate. $1,300 for three years. There are some ways to get discounts. Norton sells Verisign certificates. Don't know anything about Avast. If you don't have one, IE gives you multiple warnings that you may be installing malware, as do some anti-virus programs. Most small software companies don't bother. In addition to the cost, the implementation is a pain. But what's worse is that IE is now giving warnings even if you do have a certificate if your company is small. That is, if the number of downloads is below a threshold, it warns the user. I don't know what the threshold is. But, obviously more people download MS Office than BJ software from an individual.
    $500 really sounds excessive and abusive. I wonder how much Norton pays computer hardware companies like Samsung to pre-install Norton bloatware? Any idea?