Thread: ricky ricardo: best index generator

ricky ricardo

ricky ricardo: best index generator

Is CVCX or CVdata better for generating indices-or are they equally good?

David Spence

David Spence: Only CVData can generate indexes *NM*

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: best index generator

CVCX doesn't generate indexes. For compromise indexes, I generate with CVData and then try compromises by running CVCX sims to see the results over many penetrations.

> Is CVCX or CVdata better for generating indices-or are
    > they equally good?

ricky ricardo

ricky ricardo: Re: best index generator

> CVCX doesn't generate indexes. For compromise indexes,
    > I generate with CVData and then try compromises by
    > running CVCX sims to see the results over many
    > penetrations.
    What do you mean by "compromise" indices

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: best index generator

Index Compromises ? Older strategies used the best possible indexes they could calculate at the time. Some newer strategies make compromises for ease of use. For example, the double down indexes for 9 vs. 2 and 9 vs. 7 may not be the same, but they are so close you can compromise and make them the same. This makes them easier to remember and use. If you wish to use compromise indexes, you will need to first generate the correct indexes using an index generator and then use trial and error with simulations to test various compromises. Red7, Hi-Lo Lite, Basic Omega II and 1998 Zen use compromise indexes, as do REKO and FELT.

> What do you mean by "compromise" indices

Chessfreak

Chessfreak: I wouldn't call that close

> Some newer strategies make compromises for ease of
    > use. For example, the double down indexes for 9 vs. 2
    > and 9 vs. 7 may not be the same, but they are so close
    > you can compromise and make them the same.

Index for 9v2 is +1 and the one for 9v7 +3.According to BJA3, the off the top penalty for doubling is a whopping 6% in the case of 9v7 but less than 1% for 9v2. This shows that the two plays don't really belong into the same categorie.No matter the compromise index you choose, you will always have a 2%-error at least in either direction. Even for lazy minds this might be too high a price for not memorizing two distinct indices.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: I wouldn't call that close

Multiply that 2% times the frequency of the hands, and you get .01%. For some people, that's worth two indexes. For some, it's not.

fatcat519

fatcat519: Re: I wouldn't call that close

> Index for 9v2 is +1 and the one for 9v7 +3.

And the risk averse index that some of us use is +4.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: I wouldn't call that close

Yes, indexes that I generated for BJA. Which does not change my mind about the use of compromise indexes.

> And the risk averse index that some of us use is +4.

Zenfighter

Zenfighter: Compromise cent

Bear in mind, that employing a full set of indices against a shoe, let?s say IL18 and/or Catch 22, your maximum gain will be, more or less, around 0.275%. Obviously, if you?re using compromise indices, some penalty over this figure is on the way, but not to such a degree that especially a nickel/green player, will have to worry about it, in excess. That?s the whole idea behind all this stuff (I guess, so), that started a couple of years ago, with this ?sensational discover" by Olaf and Vancura. Snyder didn?t lost his time either, and quickly improved its popularity among the general audience. Finally, we?re watching here now, our tireless Norm, working out this subject, to a higher and more academically degree.

That my full set of indices are getting old fashioned now, is news to me. More frequently visits, look mandatory! :-)

Sincerely,

Zf

Gramazeka

Gramazeka: ST and index

Respected Norms, I have one unresolved question - as indexes depending on pseudo decks will change in ST? Your program does not calculate it?

Zenfighter

Zenfighter: Re: ST and index

I am pretty sure, Norm would clarify your doubts,
    if you e-mail him privately.

Stay well, friend.

Zf

Gramazeka

Gramazeka: Re: ST and index

> Respected Norms, I have one unresolved question - as
    > indexes depending on pseudo decks will change in ST?
    > Your program does not calculate it?
    I've got the question:
    In some cases we have 1.83 pseudo-decks. Which indices do we apply in such cases? As I think, shoe game indices are not particularly correct here. To the end of a playzone index value will change from shoe indexes to single deck indexes. I understand that PE factor is secondary, but still... Dear Norm, can your programm calculate this? By the way, in this thread nobody has mentioned the incredible SBA programm.