Thread: Mike H: Ace Side Counts

Mike H

Mike H: Ace Side Counts

What is the recommended method for side counting aces? Assume we're using Hi-Opt2 or AO2 in a 2 deck game. Half a deck and 3 aces have been played so we determine the pack is one ace poor. Say the true count is +4 and calls for a 3 unit bet.

One way that might work would be to simply add/ subtract a number of units (1 or 2) for each dis proportioned ace. So in this case being one ace poor we could subtract 1 or 2 units from the 3 we would have bet in an ace neutral situation. If we were one ace rich we could bet 1 or 2 units more. Is this a viable method and with a level 2 count would the adjustment be 1 or 2 units per ace? Maybe 1 1/2 units? I imagine in a single deck game the adjustment would be greater? This might not be the preferred method but it seems to me like it should work pretty good.

The other way I see is to make an adjustment to the running count of +2 for every ace rich and -2 for every ace poor. Then you calculate the true count to determine the bet. Is this correct?

Now that I think about it you could improve upon the first method by "trueing" the adjustment. So with 2 decks left adjust 1 unit for every ace rich/poor, with 1 1/3 decks left adjust 1.5 units, 1 deck left adjust 2 units, 2/3 deck left adjust 3 units, and 1/2 deck left adjust 4 units. I think this is essentially the same as the second method of adjusting the running count but I also think I'm assuming you would increase your bet up and down 1 unit per true count. Any comments or recommendations to these adjustments are welcome.

jblaze

jblaze: Re: Ace Side Counts

Well, I think the simplest way is to take the highest tag value of the count you're using (I think it is 2 in AO2), and use that for your Aces in your betting count.

So, if you're 2 aces rich, your playing count is 10, then your betting count is 14. (Then you adjust to true counts).

This seems easier than you're 'trueing' suggestions. But you know, do whatever works for you, just sim it.

Beyond DD, ace side counting really isn't worth it IMHO. I usually just take an estimated note if backcounting whether I'm ace rich or poor; then adjust my entry point by 1 either way.

> What is the recommended method for side counting aces?
    > Assume we're using Hi-Opt2 or AO2 in a 2 deck game.
    > Half a deck and 3 aces have been played so we
    > determine the pack is one ace poor. Say the true count
    > is +4 and calls for a 3 unit bet.

> One way that might work would be to simply add/
    > subtract a number of units (1 or 2) for each dis
    > proportioned ace. So in this case being one ace poor
    > we could subtract 1 or 2 units from the 3 we would
    > have bet in an ace neutral situation. If we were one
    > ace rich we could bet 1 or 2 units more. Is this a
    > viable method and with a level 2 count would the
    > adjustment be 1 or 2 units per ace? Maybe 1 1/2 units?
    > I imagine in a single deck game the adjustment would
    > be greater? This might not be the preferred method but
    > it seems to me like it should work pretty good.

> The other way I see is to make an adjustment to the
    > running count of +2 for every ace rich and -2 for
    > every ace poor. Then you calculate the true count to
    > determine the bet. Is this correct?

> Now that I think about it you could improve upon the
    > first method by "trueing" the adjustment. So
    > with 2 decks left adjust 1 unit for every ace
    > rich/poor, with 1 1/3 decks left adjust 1.5 units, 1
    > deck left adjust 2 units, 2/3 deck left adjust 3
    > units, and 1/2 deck left adjust 4 units. I think this
    > is essentially the same as the second method of
    > adjusting the running count but I also think I'm