Thread: 21forme: Strategy for fresh decks?

21forme

21forme: Strategy for fresh decks?

Of course this is anecdotal, but in my experience, playing fresh decks (shoe game) results in either a very good or very bad outcome, and rarely in between. The cards clearly clump, despite the dealer's washing, shuffling, etc.

Has anyone analyzed fresh decks mathematically and come up with any strategy changes?

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Strategy for fresh decks?

> Of course this is anecdotal, but in my experience,
    > playing fresh decks (shoe game) results in either a
    > very good or very bad outcome, and rarely in between.
    > The cards clearly clump, despite the dealer's washing,
    > shuffling, etc.

> Has anyone analyzed fresh decks mathematically and
    > come up with any strategy changes?

You do NOT want go here! Just forget all about it.

Don

Parker

Parker: Re: Strategy for fresh decks?

> Of course this is anecdotal, but in my experience,
    > playing fresh decks (shoe game) results in either a
    > very good or very bad outcome, and rarely in between.
    > The cards clearly clump, despite the dealer's washing,
    > shuffling, etc.

> Has anyone analyzed fresh decks mathematically and
    > come up with any strategy changes?

Actually, it has been studied to death.

Bottom line: Any "card clumping" is strictly in your imagination.

Blackjack Maniac

Blackjack Maniac: Don, Don, Don

> You do NOT want go here! Just forget all about it.

> Don

You actually got so frazzled your writing broke down. LOL
    It's ok, slow deep breaths LOL
    No one ask about multiple hands for a few days, let's give Don a chance to recover. lol

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: LOL!!

> You actually got so frazzled your writing broke down.
    > LOL

So it did! You're right. Hard to write when blood pressure is 180! :-)

> It's ok, slow deep breaths LOL

Restored to normal now.

> No one ask[ed] about multiple hands for a few days, let's
    > give Don a chance to recover. lol

Give it another day or two! :-) Sorry for the typo.

Don

Aruuba

Aruuba: Re: Strategy for fresh decks?

> Actually, it has been studied to death.

Don't get mad at me because I don't really believe much in that stuff especially to the extent it's exploitable or means you should change strategies.

But, anecdotal as it might be, for 21forme's sake in case he's interested, Wong had a little study on it in his shuffle chapter where a dealer did a riffle-riffle-strip-riffle on a single deck 10 times, each time beginning with the same order.

I guess he concluded that while each card was randomly distributed through out the deck, the "order" of the cards wasn't because originally adjacent cards appeared way too often too close together than predicted by theory.

Even if true, I don't see how that could benefit anyone much. I think that's what Wong basically concluded too since there's no way of knowing, even if they do tend to be closer together, when it's coming. And it was only 10 shuffles I think.

So I was wondering if you knew of any similar experiments that might have come to the same conclusion i.e. human shuffles might tend to leave originally adjacent cards "closer together" than maybe an electronic shuffle would. So possibly not "random" in the strictest sense but random enough to make no difference.

Obviously meaningless but when a dealer does the wash stuff with originally ordered decks, it sometimes seem alot of cards aren't that far apart from each other. But so what you still don't know what the next card is.