Thread: buddha: Counter Basic Strategy

buddha

buddha: Counter Basic Strategy

I was very interested in Chapter 7 (both BJA and BTTILV) that talk about deviating from Basic Strategy as camo. A question related to BJA: Where can I find the "2nd best option" for Basic Strategy. For example, if I want to consistently deviate from BS for A,7 vs. 2, would I hit or double? Also, is there a source for the entire "Counter's Basic Strategy" which would differ from regular Basic Strategy?

Parker

Parker: Re: Counter Basic Strategy

> I was very interested in Chapter 7 (both BJA and
    > BTTILV) that talk about deviating from Basic Strategy
    > as camo. A question related to BJA: Where can I find
    > the "2nd best option" for Basic Strategy.
    > For example, if I want to consistently deviate from BS
    > for A,7 vs. 2, would I hit or double? Also, is there a
    > source for the entire "Counter's Basic
    > Strategy" which would differ from regular Basic
    > Strategy?

There is no single "Counter Basic Strategy," because such a strategy will be dependent upon rules, penetration, bet spread used, etc.

Trapper

Trapper: CBS link

Hal Marcus presented a paper on Counter Basic Strategy in 2000 and I think he coined the term but I'm sure others thought of the idea before. Blackjack 6-7-8 is a software program that he developed that comes up with counter basic strategies as well as being a general purpose counting software. The site also sells CBS strategy cards for multi deck games. They are optimized for particular bet spreads.

It is claimed that CBS can get 80% of the gain of the I18. I have no idea if that is true. I haven't used the cards or the software and personally I am not sure of the cover value of CBS.

buddha

buddha: Re: Counter Basic Strategy

> There is no single "Counter Basic Strategy,"
    > because such a strategy will be dependent upon rules,
    > penetration, bet spread used, etc.

Which one of those items (Rules, Pen, or Bet Spread) would have the biggest impact on CBS?

Also, BJA Ch7 indicates the "cost" for choosing the "2nd best option". I'm not sure I know what the 2nd best option is in every case. For example, what is the 2nd best option for A,7 versus 2? Thanks.

buddha

buddha: Re: CBS link

> Hal Marcus presented a paper on Counter Basic Strategy
    > in 2000 and I think he coined the term but I'm sure
    > others thought of the idea before. Blackjack 6-7-8 is
    > a software program that he developed that comes up
    > with counter basic strategies as well as being a
    > general purpose counting software. The site also sells
    > CBS strategy cards for multi deck games. They are
    > optimized for particular bet spreads.

> It is claimed that CBS can get 80% of the gain of the
    > I18. I have no idea if that is true. I haven't used
    > the cards or the software and personally I am not sure
    > of the cover value of CBS.

Great info. This gives me a good place to start. I've got to believe that CBS provides some cover value inasmuch as it's a deviation from regular Basic Strategy and is played the same way all the time.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Counter Basic Strategy

> Which one of those items (Rules, Pen, or Bet Spread)
    > would have the biggest impact on CBS?

Well, different rules immediately change any BS, right at the source. But, if you're talking about what determines the changes from BS to CBS, then the spread is the big determining factor. CBS is based upon the average bet that you'll have on the table, as you make a particular departure. For example, were you to be a flat bettor, then CBS wouldn't exist.

> Also, BJA Ch7 indicates the "cost" for
    > choosing the "2nd best option". I'm not sure
    > I know what the 2nd best option is in every case. For
    > example, what is the 2nd best option for A,7 versus 2?
    > Thanks.

Table A51, in the Appendix, on p. 444, will answer this type of question. There, you will see that doubling is a very close second to standing, with hitting a distant third.

By the way, if you check the footnote, at the bottom of p. 97, you'll see that I make reference to the fact that the frequencies may sometimes reflect one play and sometimes another. To my horror, while rereading this, I just noticed a typo that has gone undetected, since the publication of the hardcover version of third edition: "involved" is spelled "involoved"!!

Sigh. You ruined my day. :-(

Don