Thread: hitmestacey: Saving Nuts For a Long Winter(squirreling)

hitmestacey

hitmestacey: Saving Nuts For a Long Winter(squirreling)

This is a nice problem to have. How & when do you remove the cheques from circulation? And what about redemption? And do you combine this with a players card? If I win a round with 4 green chips, how do I get it 'Back in Black' without unwanted attention?

Wolverine

Wolverine: my 2 cents

Pulling chips off the table is a great thing to do if you can do it and get away with it. However, easier said that done most of the time.

First off--getting paid in black for a green bet is usually something that the dealer will do automatically if they are trying to manage their chip tray and your chip stack. However, a new dealer or a "by the book" dealer probably won't do it without some prodding on your part. Provided you have enough greens in front of you to bet through a "normal" losing streak, you can simply state, "Its okay to pay me in black." It helps to be a well respected player (i.e., not an ass at the table, tip occassionally/regularly, not blame the dealer for how things are going, etc... In other words, the dealer must like/tolerate you.) If you DON'T have enough green ammo sitting in front of you, the dealers will get tired of paying your 4 unit bet off in black just to turn around and "check change $100" before dealing every other round. A sure way to get the dealers to label you as a pain in the butt and hate you.

So, now you have prompted the dealer to pay you in black, you have enough $25 chips to play your game, and you are stacking up a few blacks. Congrats on the bankroll increase. Now, in order to squirrel a black chip away, you have to find a way to palm the chip and place it in a pocket/recepticle somewhere. Are you there with a friend that you trust? When they come up to check on you and ask how you are doing, slip them a chip. It will be off the table and tucked away. Great way to do it. If you are alone, find a reason to reach into your pockets that is 100% natural: replacing your players card, retrieving a lighter to light up a smoke (with the chances of putting away 2 chips, one going in to get the lighter, one when you replace it in your pocket), etc... Get creative and think for yourself how you can do it.

Here is your ultimate problem: when you get up to leave the table and color up what you have, leave with "nothing," or anything in between--the lazy pit boss that you think you have fooled the whole time, is going to check the chip rack. Guess what? They know EXACTLY how many black, purple, yellow, orange, magenta, brown, blue, ochre, and any other odd colored chips there are in the chip tray BEFORE you were there, and they will check them when you leave. Any discrepancy is "credited" to you! So when there are $300 in missing black chips and the dealer tells the pit they colored you up to $300, but you really have $600 in black chips--they know it. And they note it in their computer or comp slip. So you think you made them believe you had a $200 loss (assuming a $500 buyin) but they will actually credit you with a $100 win.

You need to do your homework regarding the pit. Some pay closer attention than others to what I outlined above. Find one that doesn't do a good job of it, or something else that can help you "camoflauge" those missing chips in the rack. I'm not going to give all the info away on a free board like this, but you can think it over and figure it out.

Good question and I hope I helped you to think this over a little more. It is great if you can do it, but there is more to it than just removing the chip from the deck.

Good luck.

AutomaticMonkey

AutomaticMonkey: Ratholing green in the latrine

> This is a nice problem to have. How & when do you
    > remove the cheques from circulation? And what about
    > redemption? And do you combine this with a players
    > card? If I win a round with 4 green chips, how do I
    > get it 'Back in Black' without unwanted attention?

First off I wouldn't rathole black or up because those cheques are too heavily accounted for. Unless you are playing huge stakes you can do the job in green. You don't need to hide all of it, I just do twice my EV, makes my win/loss record look like the typical unskilled player.

The way I do it is request a lammer, put all my chips in one obvious pocket and go to the men's room. In there, I transfer the appropriate amount of chips to another, non-obvious pocket, go back to the table, and empty out the original pocket. Do it when you have a big stack, and put away the chips quickly when you get up so they can't get a good reckoning of how much you are picking up if someone is watching you.

The fun part is cashing in the chips after you have a big collection!