It was several centuries ago that Galileo Galilei was forced to publicly revoke his theory that the earth was surrounding the sun rather than the reverse.The by then almighty Catholic Church saw her authority challenged and this couldn't be tolerated.Of course the official version was that they had to protect the members of their community who might have to go to hell for falling for such an illbelief.
Don Schlesinger has openly vowed to discredit me personnally by all means in order to "protect our readers against the harmful theory of decimal indices".They might be tempted to take up the terrible burden of memorizing these indices for just a few cents more per hour,what a catastrophy! Or they might learn even more indices than the I18 which will almost certainly lead to an overload of their activ-memory.In the final stage their heads will simply explode.
Schlesinger's campaign is a serious matter because it violates ethical principles to which this site (I still think) is committed. I expect the management to take swift action.

Francis Salmon