Thread: Freddie: Ace Side Count for Playing Purposes

Freddie

Freddie: Ace Side Count for Playing Purposes

Could someone clarify this?
    "Multiply the number of excess Aces by the absolute value of the point count value assigned by the current strategy to Ten-value cards (normally one or two) "

its from http://www.qfit.com/blackjack-side-counts.htm

What does the point count mean?
    And lets say we are playing a 2 deck game and there are 3 aces left. What are we suppose to multipy this number by?

-Freddie

Saboteur

Saboteur: Whatever the "current strategy" uses for Tens

If, for example, you're using Hi-Lo, the strategy counts Tens as -1. The absolute value of -1 is 1. So, you should muliply the number of excess Aces by 1, if you're using Hi-Lo.

The writer notes that, for most systems, the absolute value of the figure we use for Tens is one or two.

His sentence is somewhat convoluted. I've always felt that the biggest obstacle to overcome when learning blackjack is the inability of most BJ authors to clearly articulate what they're trying to teach us.

To answer your final question, we must first know how far into the deck we've already played. Until we can do that, we have no way to determine the number of "excess" Aces there are in the remaining cards.

Francis Salmon

Francis Salmon: Doesn't make much sense

If you count aces separately you do this to get the betting right.The main count will be ace-neutral so your count is already fit for strategy purposes.
    Counting aces twice,e.g. in high-low is not very efficient.

Francis Salmon

Jean Jacques Robert

Jean Jacques Robert: Re: Humble Suggestion

Instead of Side Counting Aces, why don't you try to keep a side betting running count.

Ex: If you use Hi-Opt 1, add Ace = -1 and 2 = +1 to your running count and true count for betting purposes. You would in fact be using the Hi-Low system for betting purposes and Hi-Opt for playing purposes.

If you use Hi-Opt II, add Ace = -2, 3= + 1 and 6 = +1. You will thus be using Revere's level 2 point count for betting purposes and Hi-Opt II for playing purposes.

If you use AO II, add Ace = -2, 3= +1 and 5= +1. You will be using the Halves system for betting purposes and AOII for playing purposes.

I personally find this running count adjustment for betting purposes easier than a classic side counting of Aces.

Dali-lama

Dali-lama: Re: Ace Side Count for Playing Purposes

> Could someone clarify this?
    > "Multiply the number of excess Aces by
    > the absolute value of the point count value
    > assigned by the current strategy to
    > Ten-value cards (normally one or two) "

> its from
    > http://www.qfit.com/blackjack-side-counts.htm

> What does the point count mean?
    > And lets say we are playing a 2 deck game
    > and there are 3 aces left. What are we
    > suppose to multipy this number by?

> -Freddie

Freddie,
    I hope I understand your Q. If you have a side count for aces(you don't count them in your RC).
    Side count of aces in systems like hi-opt 1 are for betting purposes only.When the system is used, the RC is converted to the true count for proper play. For every extra ace left in the deck(4 aces per deck)one is added to the RC for the purpose of calculating your next bet. For every ace the deck is poor, 1 is removed from the RC for betting purposes....hope this helps DL
    I just reread this and trust me it is not as complicated as it sounds.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Doesn't make much sense

> If you count aces separately you do this to
    > get the betting right.The main count will be
    > ace-neutral so your count is already fit for
    > strategy purposes.

That is only true for Ace-Neutral strategies. For Ace-Reckoned strategies you can count Aces for strategy adjustment. See http://www.qfit.com/blackjack-side-counts.htm