Thread: Mofo: Indices vs Basic Strategy

Mofo

Mofo: Indices vs Basic Strategy

Don's Fab 4 indices includes 16 vs 10 TC>=0:S. Does this mean that on the first hand of a new shoe, when TC = 0, if I get 16 vs a dealer's 10 I should Stand? Basic Strategy dictates that I should hit. Why would any index deviate from basic strategy when TC = 0?

Fred Renzey

Fred Renzey: Re: Indices vs Basic Strategy

> Does this mean that on the first hand of a new shoe, when TC = 0, if I get 16 vs a dealer's 10 I should Stand? Why would any index deviate from basic strategy when TC = 0?

>snip: This hand is a good example of the fact that your count will often be something other than zero right off the top of the deck/shoe. It's even a better example of how card composition can dictate proper strategy for some borderline hands -- which 16 vs. 10 is.

If you're dealt the typical 10/6 against a 10 on the first hand of the deck/shoe, your running count will be minus 1 -- and you should hit; just barely. But if you're dealt 7/5 against that 10 up, hit and catch a 4 your running count will be plus 1 and you should stand.

Mofo

Mofo: Re: Indices vs Basic Strategy

> If you're dealt the typical 10/6 against a
    > 10 on the first hand of the deck/shoe, your
    > running count will be minus 1 -- and you
    > should hit; just barely. But if you're dealt
    > 7/5 against that 10 up, hit and catch a 4
    > your running count will be plus 1 and you
    > should stand.

1) The index 16 v 10 could refer to 10/6 (RC=-2) or 9/7 (RC=-1). Granted, on a first hand, this would make your 'count' ever so slightly negative. So allow me to change the scenario. _This_ hand (: whatever number it is is 16 v 10, and happens to bring my running count to exactly zero, thus my TC = 0. Do I apply basic strategy and hit, or apply the index and stand? And why?

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Indices vs Basic Strategy

> Don's Fab 4 indices includes 16 vs 10
    > TC>=0:S. Does this mean that on the first
    > hand of a new shoe, when TC = 0, if I get 16
    > vs a dealer's 10 I should Stand? Basic
    > Strategy dictates that I should hit. Why
    > would any index deviate from basic strategy
    > when TC = 0?

Don't make the mistake that so many novices make: The TC isn't always zero after the cards have been dealt! And proper BS does NOT assume that the count is zero; rather, it assumes that, off the top of a freshly shuffled pack, your hand and the dealer's upcard have been dealt.

See the difference?

Don

Mofo

Mofo: Re: Indices vs Basic Strategy

> Don't make the mistake that so many novices
    > make: The TC isn't always zero after the
    > cards have been dealt! And proper BS does
    > NOT assume that the count is zero; rather,
    > it assumes that, off the top of a freshly
    > shuffled pack, your hand and the dealer's
    > upcard have been dealt.

> See the difference?

> Don

OMG! I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! 8-)

You're right on both counts, the explanation (: which I knew, but still needed to be hit with a 2x4 to have it sink in. and my recent entry into advantage BJ. THX for your answer. Ya gotta believe it when it comes from the source.