> NO, you don't for your own personal use. And
> you are using CVCX correctly for your own
> personal use. But, when responding to the
> original post; the general case must be
> used. Because the poster doesn't care what
> strategy is better for YOU. That's the
> point.

Continue that thought. Does _he_ care about the general case, or the specific case he is playing where he plays? Since I didn't know his specific game, I picked three, hoping one would be close to what he wanted.

I still believe anyone ought to buy CVCX before doing anything else, because it sheds a lot of light on a subject that is not very well understood, because the "general case" is just too abstract to be meaningful to a player that has to play a specific and real game...

Isn't this a case of first buying the tool, then trying to make that tool do the task you have now discovered you have? "To the man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail." Damned if I would choose a counting system based on any "general case". The "empirical scientist" in me demands that I first understand the problem (the specific rules of the game/games I am going to play) before I try to define a solution (choose the counting system I am going to use).

Here's a bit of humor while we are going on about theory and reality:

Young kid walks into the living room and asks his dad "Dad, our teacher gave us the assignment to learn the difference between theory and reality. Got any idea how I can do that?"

Dad thinks a few minutes, says "Son, go into the kitchen and ask your mother if she would 'sleep' with the postman for a million dollars.."

Son looks puzzled, but wanders off and finds his mom and asks. She thinks about it for a few minutes and says "yes, I believe I would."

Kid goes back to his dad and says "Dad, I asked mom and she said yes she would, but what does that have to do with my homework assignment about theory and reality?"

Dad said "son, it is like this. In theory, we are now millionaires. In reality, your mother is a slut."

As a computer scientist, theory is a necessity. But it has to be followed up by strong doses of reality to get large systems designed and implemented.