Thread: Herb: Stand 16 Vs 10 always

Herb

Herb: Stand 16 Vs 10 always

BS says to hit 16 VS 10 and index plays suggests standing when the count is high. A poster on another board said he NEVER hits 16 VS 10 simply because standing is the correct play with a large bet out, and making a minor incorrect play with a low bet out doesn't matter too much.
    Basically the pit doesn't see you vary your 16 VS 10 plays which is good cover.

This does sound logical but is this play giving up too much EV

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Stand 16 Vs 10 always

> This does sound logical but is this play
    > giving up too much EV

Short answer: No. You get 16 v. 10 (including multi-card 16) about 3.4 times per 100 hands. Half of them will be at TCs of 0 or higher and you will be correct to stand anyway. So, once or twice per hour, you'll stand on a 16 v. 10 (with your minimum bet) that you should hit. It's doubtful that the play will cost more than, say, 2% of your bet, on average, so if you're a $10 bettor, standing on all your 16s v. 10 might cost you about 20 cents an hour. Cheap cover, if you ask me.

Don

Bettie

Bettie: I'm surprised

> 16s v. 10 might cost you about 20 cents an
    > hour. Cheap cover, if you ask me.

I'm surprised Don didn't direct you to Chapter 7 and page 98 of Blackjack Attack, so I'll do it.

Chapter 7 explains in detail the cost, in dollars and cents, of the penalty for deviating from basic strategy in any conceiveable way. If it's not, it should be one of the most referenced chapters in the book for any player considering play camo like you mentioned.

It also includes tables on hand frequencies (needed to figure out the cost of your cover), and the conditional and absolute cost (page 98) of the penalty for the camo move you choose. It's such a great chapter!

Bettie

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: I'm surprised

> I'm surprised Don didn't direct you to
    > Chapter 7 and page 98 of Blackjack Attack,
    > so I'll do it.

> Chapter 7 explains in detail the cost, in
    > dollars and cents, of the penalty for
    > deviating from basic strategy in any
    > conceiveable way.

I didn't direct him there, because he's a counter, and the cost to a counter is slightly different. For example, for the BS player, to deviate from BS for 16 v. 10 means to ALWAYS stand on it, rather than to always hit it. Well, for a counter, half the time there is no penalty at all, because if the count is above zero, it's correct to stand. But, for the BS player, who is ALWAYS supposed to hit (because he's oblivious to the count), then standing all the time is wrong all the time and carries a slightly different penalty, which is easier to calculate.

Don

Fred Renzey

Fred Renzey: Re: Stand 16 Vs 10 always

> A poster on another board said he NEVER hits
    16 VS 10. Basically the pit doesn't see you vary your 16 vs. 10 plays which is good cover.

>snip: The "leak" involved with always standing on 16 vs. 10 is that the pit will also see you hitting 16 vs. 7, 8, 9 or Ace virtually without fail.

Clown

Clown: Re: Stand 16 Vs 10 always

Is there a resource on the web listing all the basic strategy variations based on hi-lo count?

Parker

Parker: Hi-lo Indices

> Is there a resource on the web listing all
    > the basic strategy variations based on hi-lo
    > count?

I am not aware of any site listing all the index numbers for Hi-li, but you can find the 18 most important strategy variations, as developed by Don Schlesinger, at Richard Reid's excellent BJmath website (www.bjmath.com). Since this site can be somewhat confusing to navigate, I have provided a direct link below.

Of course, you can also find a detailed discussion of these indices (and a whole lot more), in Don's book, Blackjack Attack, 3rd Edition, conveniently available from our online catalog.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Hi-lo Indices

> I am not aware of any site listing all the
    > index numbers for Hi-li, but you can find
    > the 18 most important strategy variations,
    > as developed by Don Schlesinger, at Richard
    > Reid's excellent BJmath website
    > (www.bjmath.com). Since this site can be
    > somewhat confusing to navigate, I have
    > provided a direct link below.

Note that some of the values of the indices listed on Reid's site have changed for the latest edition (BJA3) of the book.

Don

SpiderMan

SpiderMan: re:Hi-lo Indices

To be frank, The Mayor's cardcounter.com website also provides the I18, but they're less accurate than the ones in BJA3.

Besides the Hi-Lo, it provides indices for the Hi-Opt I, II, UAPC, etc.

Clown

Clown: Thanks you guys (NM). *NM*

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: re:Hi-lo Indices

> To be frank, The Mayor's cardcounter.com
    > website also provides the I18, but they're
    > less accurate than the ones in BJA3.

> Besides the Hi-Lo, it provides indices for
    > the Hi-Opt I, II, UAPC, etc.

"Less accurate." Is that like kinda pregnant?

For $40 a guy can get BJA3 and be .. accurate.
    For $50, he'll sign it!

A bargain if for nothing else than all the 'accurate' BS work, the SCOREs, and the HiLo indexes.