Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laughlin Marauder: dumb ploppy moves

EA

EA: Re: dumb ploppy moves

Mine was the opposite of that. the count was even, I was playing 3rd base with a 6-5. A floppy at second base ask me if he should split pair of 4 against 3 I said "yes" without hesitation he's first hand 4-3-4-5 and he's second hand was 4-2-10. I double down and got a 10. and the dealer bust. that play just made my day.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: LOL!! *NM*

paranoid android

paranoid android: Re: dumb ploppy moves

While it cost you this time, what he did actually will help you on average. Players not taking cards in a high count increases the chance that you'll get an extra round with that high count.

I also agree with Ouchez' assessment. Rubbing his face in his stupid play was a bad move. First off, as has been stated, how other players play doesn't affect your win rate on average (and as I said, this particular play will actually help you on average). Him not taking that card has an equal probability of helping you as it does hurting you. Secondly, anything that draws attention to yourself is generally a bad thing (unless it's part of your act). Third, anything that may identify you as a skilled player is a bad thing. And finally, it's not very nice.

But, I do feel your pain. Losing sucks.

Greasy John

Greasy John: Well said *NM*

Greasy John

Greasy John: Re: Well said *NM*

Victoria

Victoria: Re: You now ..

Got to agree with Sun Runner.
    Biggest hand I ever won. Split 8's vs dealer stiff, got a third 8, landing up doubling on two of them but had nothing but stiff hands. 5 max bets and nothing over a 15. Guy at third base has A, 3 and stays. Lands up causing the dealer to bust. Since then I grimace when I see these plays but always remember how the idiot player at third base helped make me a bunch of cash.

Victoria

Victoria: Cover or did you know what was coming???

Was it just for cover that you told the guy to split 4's against a 3? If so I think bad plays on your own hand might provide some expensive cover but on someone else's, I doubt it.

Or did you just know that a bunch of little cards were coming and he would provide two services for you. Get them out so you get your 10 and increase the count.

EA

EA: Re: Cover or did you know what was coming???

> Was it just for cover that you told the guy
    > to split 4's against a 3? If so I think bad
    > plays on your own hand might provide some
    > expensive cover but on someone else's, I
    > doubt it.

> Or did you just know that a bunch of little
    > cards were coming and he would provide two
    > services for you. Get them out so you get
    > your 10 and increase the count.

I was expecting a bunch of low cards, that's why I told him to split those 4's. I was playing 6D. He even thank me when the dealer bust.

paranoid android

paranoid android: Re: Cover or did you know what was coming???

> Get them out so you get
    > your 10 and increase the count.

Except that card eating cannot increase or decrease the true count on average. A player eating cards will not help (nor hurt) you on that hand. Card eating by another player can only help you by getting to the end of a negative shoe faster.

BUZARD

BUZARD: Re: dumb ploppy moves

> The right thing to say is he didn't cost you
    > anything, it all evens out in the end, your
    > EV is not dependent on the play of others,
    > etc, etc, etc.

How can people say that your EV is not dependent on the play of others when it clearly was?

i've had times when i knew someone after me was going to cost me a lot, so i told them i'd pay them their bet if they lost, as long as they didn't do what they were about to do.

try that next time.

> Having said that ... man! What a bummer!

> Those kinda bad beats are hard to shake off;
    > but shake them off you must.

> Keep on truckin' dude .. it'll come back
    > around.

> (Did you at least ask the guy exactly WHAT
    > CARD HE WAS AFRAID OF DRAWING!?!?!)

Ouchez

Ouchez: All great tactics. Post like these

> Except that card eating cannot increase or
    > decrease the true count on average. A player
    > eating cards will not help (nor hurt) you on
    > that hand. Card eating by another player can
    > only help you by getting to the end of a
    > negative shoe faster.

make this the great site it is.

Strength and Honor,
    Ouchez.

Parker

Parker: Re: dumb ploppy moves

> How can people say that your EV is not
    > dependent on the play of others when it
    > clearly was?

Because it isn't.

> i've had times when i knew someone after me
    > was going to cost me a lot, so i told them
    > i'd pay them their bet if they lost, as long
    > as they didn't do what they were about to
    > do.

You were throwing away your money. Boneheaded plays by other players will help you just as often as they will hurt you (as some other posters have mentioned). These cancel each other out, and thus your EV (Expectation of Value) is unaffected. No one can predict the exact order in which the cards will come out.

> try that next time.

I'll pass, thanks.

paranoid android

paranoid android: Re: dumb ploppy moves

> How can people say that your EV is not
    > dependent on the play of others when it
    > clearly was?

It cost him in THIS particular case. But the probability of the ploppy's stupid play hurting other players was exactly the same as the probability of his play helping other players.

> i've had times when i knew someone after me
    > was going to cost me a lot, so i told them
    > i'd pay them their bet if they lost, as long
    > as they didn't do what they were about to
    > do.

How did you know their play was going to cost you? Had you seen the next few cards that were about to be dealt? If not, then you had absolutely no idea whether that player's play would hurt or help you on that hand and the probability of it hurting or helping you was exactly the same.

The belief that other players play can hurt or help you is a common superstition. But in reality, there's no such thing as a good 3rd basemen at the blackjack tables. Whether it's the most clueless ploppy or Don S. himself sitting at your table, both will have exactly the same effect on the outcome of your hands. None (on average).

Having said that, if you don't believe me, please tell me where you play. I want to play on your table. I promise to play every hand exactly as you tell me if you'll pay me for every hand I lose. ;-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast