Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flip: Count a deck in 14 seconds?

Battery

Battery: Re: To test yourself

> You take one card out of the deck without
    > looking at it. You then count the rest of
    > the cards. You arrive at a count that should
    > allow you to identify the card you removed
    > (by its count).

How is that method different from leaving the deck intact and knowing your count was correct because it ended at zero?

CAPT XII

CAPT XII: Re: To test yourself

It reduces the chance of off-setting mistakes.

> How is that method different from leaving
    > the deck intact and knowing your count was
    > correct because it ended at zero?

G Man

G Man: Re: To test yourself

When testing for a team, it`s better if you don`t already know the ending count... :-)

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: To test yourself

I take out three cards!

I always thought it was a sub-conscience thing, so you couldn't 'trick' yourself into the right answer.

Battery

> It reduces the chance of off-setting
    > mistakes.

How? If there were off-setting mistakes early in the deck, you are still facing the same situation whether you count down to the end of the deck or have a card left.

Battery

> I take out three cards!

> I always thought it was a sub-conscience
    > thing, so you couldn't 'trick' yourself into
    > the right answer.

So it's sort of like setting your watch ten minutes ahead or putting $100 in your checking account and not recording the deposit?

Bettie

Bettie: Re: To test yourself

> So it's sort of like setting your watch ten
    > minutes ahead or putting $100 in your
    > checking account and not recording the
    > deposit?

Not exactly. The point is that when you take out the cards, you do it blindly so you don't know which you're taking out and don't know what the count will be at the end. That way, you don't know it's going to be zero, so you can't bluff your way to that number. So, you get done with your count and have minus 2, then you check to make sure that the cards you took out equal plus two.

Make sense now?

Bettie

Battery

> Not exactly. The point is that when you take
    > out the cards, you do it blindly so you
    > don't know which you're taking out and don't
    > know what the count will be at the end. That
    > way, you don't know it's going to be zero,
    > so you can't bluff your way to that number.
    > So, you get done with your count and have
    > minus 2, then you check to make sure that
    > the cards you took out equal plus two.

> Make sense now?

> Bettie

No, it doesn't. What is the difference between what you are describing and counting down a complete deck knowing that with two cards left and a count of -2, that they had both better be 2-6???

You can do it honestly, if you choose, with a full deck and get the same result.

paranoid android

paranoid android: Re: To test yourself

> You can do it honestly, if you choose, with
    > a full deck and get the same result.

I agree for the most part that it doesn't make that big of difference. However, if you know the deck will end in zero, and the count is currently +3 with just a few cards left, you can anticipate what the last few cards are, allowing you to count them artificially fast. If you don't know what the count should end with, you can't anticipate so you have to count the last few cards the same as the first of the deck. Again, I agree that you can learn to count either way though.

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: To test yourself

> No, it doesn't. What is the difference
    > between what you are describing and counting
    > down a complete deck knowing that with two
    > cards left and a count of -2, that they had
    > both better be 2-6???

That's why I hold out three cards. With three cards your final answer could be anything from -3 to +3.

It's not about being honest with yourself. The idea is if you are in a time test, getting to the end with no cards, one card, or maybe two vards out, your mind will try and 'steer' you in the right direction.

Ex. if you are coming down the stretch and you are at -4, knowing you only have 1 or 2 cards out, your mind could 'leap' from that -4 to an answer that fits the possible end result.

It's no big deal to me, just that is how it was taught to me.

The mind is a powerful thing!

Battery

Battery: Thanks for your reply - and everyone else too *NM*

Bettie

Bettie: Some confusion. maybe?

> No, it doesn't. What is the difference
    > between what you are describing and counting
    > down a complete deck knowing that with two
    > cards left and a count of -2, that they had
    > both better be 2-6???

That's the point - you DON"T know what the end count is going to be. You take the cards out blindly. Just pick 1, 2, or 3 cards and put them aside. You don't know what they are. I think that's the confusion. It's not like I know I've taken out a 2 and a 10 when I end up with zero. If I get to the end and have a count of zero, THEN I see what the cards are - and they better not be a 2 and a 5, or I messed up somewhere.

Yes, you can do it with a full deck, but in all of my tests (given to me by other people), they take out cards before you start. It's just better if the end count is always different, so you're not expecting anything.

Bettie

Saboteur

Saboteur: True

Studies have shown that people will grade their performance higher than they actually performed, if given the chance. It's true regardless of their attitudes toward cheating in general.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12